Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Biting point issue

m456an

When my starter went last Fri. at work car park, my manager came to help and said it needed a bump start, so I pushed and he called a couple of other guys, and it did start. When he got out of the car he said I needed to change the clutch as I had a high biting point.

The clutch has never slipped, and only real problem is first gear as the acceleration is so sensitive with boots if I take boot off than it is not so bad.

Is this normal for avensis? Seems to be looking at the internet?

How far has the car gone? And has it been used for a lot of city driving? My old mk1 needed a new clutch at 115 000 miles, think that is pretty normal.

Only had it for 2 weeks, it has 88,000 miles

What car does your manager drive? Different cars have different biting points. He could be right and there are a few ways to test it. First is to go to a suitable fast road, then with no other traffic and floor it in third gear from a low speed.  Another way is to change gear going up a hill and see if there is slip. my mechanic has done the stationary test - handbrake on, rev the engine high with 3rd gear selected, then release the pedal quickly. The engine should stall if the clutch is good.
The clutch is much cheaper to do on the Mk2 compared to my Mk3 which I had done this year.   

I did try to floor it in 5th yesterday, the revs did not shoot up but steadily increased with a steady increase in speed, I will try in 3rd gear today. The seat controls are manual and work in a different way from my ex focus, they seem awkward to set when sitting so tried yesterday to adjust them outside the car, so the seat is now vertical and not slanting back but to get that I had to set the seat to the angle that was the highest - now it seems easier to start the car in first with boots. Maybe the lower seat position made the biting point seem higher?

Maybe I am not used to electronic acceleration as my focus had a cable acceleration which was less sensitive.

2 hours ago, m456an said:

I did try to floor it in 5th yesterday, the revs did not shoot up but steadily increased with a steady increase in speed, I will try in 3rd gear today. The seat controls are manual and work in a different way from my ex focus, they seem awkward to set when sitting so tried yesterday to adjust them outside the car, so the seat is now vertical and not slanting back but to get that I had to set the seat to the angle that was the highest - now it seems easier to start the car in first with boots. Maybe the lower seat position made the biting point seem higher?

Maybe I am not used to electronic acceleration as my focus had a cable acceleration which was less sensitive.

Yes 'fly by wire' throttle can feel and operate differently, though I have not noticed too much with my Mk3. Back to the clutch issue, I would not worry about the clutch unless it definitely show signs slipping with fairly medium to hard use - that is how high discovered my clutch was nearing the end. During normal use, the clutch did not slip. See my post - 

With the new clutch fitted the biting point was a little lower but not by much. At the same time it has a firm grip before the top of the pedal travel. This means that drivers who ride the clutch by rest their foot on the pedal, may cause premature wear! My foot only touches the pedal when changing gear, ready to move off from standstill (including slow manoeuvres) and starting the car (there is an inhibitor). Other times I foot is on the rest next to the clutch pedal. Once I have the clutch changed, it should last my ownership!
I have driven different car of different brands, and the controls feel different. My car has very light controls - the clutch feels like it's not connected, the brakes need a light touch, throttle makes the engine rev easily in neutral (need it due to the lack of torque), and steering a little light. I driven later cars have heavier clutch and brake pedals!
Like to an update if the clutch is okay or worn.    

• Haha 1

Tried in third, throttle down and speed went up with revs. It seems seat position is important for correct usuage with foot pedals with this car. Maybe I just need more practice so it does not ***** forwards when I go into first.

It seems like the clutch is okay. No disrespect to your manager, but I did say that every car is different and not knowing if he has driven a similar Avensis, he assumed the high biting point was a sign that the clutch is worn. Normally it is correct, but until there is signs of slip, you are fine. Seat position can affect the angle to the pedals.
Just enjoy the car for now. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Changed air filter to a mann one which seems better quality than the denso, and cleaned the throttle body, very dirty. Next step with be the spark plugs, but I guess everything is fine. The GPS works but needs north and south co-ordinates, hi fi very detailed sound and good bass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m456an said:

Changed air filter to a Mann one which seems better quality than the denso, and cleaned the throttle body, very dirty. Next step with be the spark plugs, but I guess everything is fine. The GPS works but needs north and south co-ordinates, hi fi very detailed sound and good bass.

Your giving the car a little service. Have you done an oil and filter change? I noticed your spark plug selection - 

I think the oil and filter was done last Christmas, checked the log book. Though the rev. counter has gone solid, used to be erract going up and down. Maybe this was the reason the car was sold....Amazing how much a simple clean can do, must do it every year  to stop idle control valve and oxygen sensors getting dirty.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Clutch is much smoother, after I disconnected pipe to clutch reservoir and let it pour out, and simply added dot 4+. I suspect that this was why the biting point seemed wrong....

• Like 1

17 hours ago, m456an said:

Clutch is much smoother, after I disconnected pipe to clutch reservoir and let it pour out, and simply added dot 4+. I suspect that this was why the biting point seemed wrong....

Sounds like the hydraulic fluid needed changing. 
From you post on 20 September, it sounds like the car was not cared for mechanically, and when the car showed problems it was sold - probably cheaply. You are now fixing these little niggles, and getting a better car. Some people think you don't need to service a reliable car, or don't think some fixes are cheap. 
Hope there are no more issues. :thumbsup:  

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

Sounds like the hydraulic fluid needed changing. 
From you post on 20 September, it sounds like the car was not cared for mechanically, and when the car showed problems it was sold - probably cheaply. You are now fixing these little niggles, and getting a better car. Some people think you don't need to service a reliable car, or don't think some fixes are cheap. 
Hope there are no more issues. :thumbsup:  

I did get it cheap for £2000 and heading towards 89,000 miles. I did some valet to it, has a few scratch marks but looks good a metre way, it is only after a few weeks you start to notice these scratches. Just topping up the oil made it quieter, but I will do a oil change next year. I think the next steps will be to check the tyre tread, tyre pressure, than look under the car with a metal brush and autosol etc.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links