Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying a second hand Auris, which one?

scotty_boy90

Hi folks

I have reserved an auris which is a 64plate icon+ 1.33VVti petrol with 8500 on the clock.

I have now seen a 64 plate icon + 1.6 v-matic with 5500 on the clock.

Arnold Clark selling have the 'best deal guarantee'. My gut says that the bigger engine with three 3k less is a better deal but would you agree? I'm presuming the bigger engine would be a bit better and also looking at some 'starting prices' it would suggest that the matic would be more expensive brand new and the confused.com car valuation on book price has the matic as being worth more. 

I reserved the car around a month ago and the matic has come down in price since the new Cara have come out.

What do you guys think?

Cheers!

No mention of prices or condition for either car, so it is difficult to comment. It also depends what you want from the car.

The 1.6 will be faster, quicker, but possibly not as economical. What type of driving do you usually do?

The stop/start of the 1.33 can be a more calming in city traffic as you don't have the engine noise when the engine stops in traffic.

AC Linwood?

I got a better deal on my new-to-me pre-reg Avensis (picking up Thurs. :biggrin:) from AC Bishopbriggs. If interested PM me & I'll give you  the name of a decent salesman to deal with. 

27 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

No mention of prices or condition for either car, so it is difficult to comment. It also depends what you want from the car.

The 1.6 will be faster, quicker, but possibly not as economical. What type of driving do you usually do?

The stop/start of the 1.33 can be a more calming in city traffic as you don't have the engine noise when the engine stops in traffic.

Thanks for replying!

Driving type is mixed both motorway and city. Price is the exact same at 9500.

31 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

AC Linwood?

I got a better deal on my new-to-me pre-reg Avensis (picking up Thurs. :biggrin:) from AC Bishopbriggs. If interested PM me & I'll give you  the name of a decent salesman to deal with. 

Nah neither of those mate

I own a 14 plate Icon tourer 1.6 manual.  Brilliant car.  Great to drive, comfortable, reliable so far (owned from new) much more economical than I was expecting - thoroughly recommend.  

I test drove the 1.33 when I bought the 1.6 and there was no comparison in terms of acceleration and smoothness (the 1.33 in the Yaris is great - owned one previously).  Tested a newer 1.2 recently to replace another auris my wife had and went for an Avensis instead as didn't like the turbo - amongst other things.

1.6 is surprisingly economical.  Brim to brim I can regularly get 46-48 on rural driving 3-12 mile journeys (in summer - does drop to low 40s in winter).  On a long drive I can get over 50mpg if I drive like an old man!  Honest John says that the 1.6 tourer mpg exceeds Toyota's stated average mpg.  

I suspect that working the 1.33 harder when accelerating may mean that any supposed increased mpg over the 1.6 is lost to an extent...... but will obviously depend how you drive.

I would recommend my car to anyone, nothing fancy but does a good job and is a pleasure to drive.  First car I've owned that I hope to own for 8-10yrs.  

£9500 seems a bit steep to me.  The other 1.6 auris we had (but sold to get the avensis) cost £9750 at 9 months old (about 2 yrs ago) with 15k on it.  Bought from main dealer.   But I haven't looked at prices lately!  Batches of them seem to be released at the same time (presumably from fleets - ours was from Hertz as many main dealer cars are!) and prices fall so worth waiting if you're not in a rush!

Having just looked at Autotrader prices seem to be higher than when we got ours now and there aren't as many about atm.  The one we traded in is for sale (2yrs after we bought it and with double the mileage) for only £200 less than we bought it for!!!!!!!  

That said there are numerous 1.6 icon +  on a 14/64 plate on there for £8k - £9k some with as few as 3k miles on (eg £8827 from a national retailer). 

The drop in value of diesel cars and the increase in demand for petrol cars has improved the used values for petrols.

Similar increases aren't unheard of. With the scrappage scheme of 2009, owners of three year old vehicles weren't swapping due to the increased demand for new cars from people using the scrappage scheme.  Values of three year old cars increased due to a dearth of supply. 

I gained around £800 when I part exchanged my 2006 Corolla for a new 2009 Auris.

• Like 1

From reading the replies then it seems I should try and ask for money off the 1.33 and if hey don't budge go for the 1.6 at the same price. 

Condition of both cars looks excellent and the 1.6 would be better in terms of power. Have never had a Toyota before but after a lot of research it seems to be the best car for us in terms of reliability and having gadgets for HR Mrs like reversing camera and sat nav that she needs.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links