Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Turn ignition. Nothing?

montaigne

Hi,

Old newbie here. I recently purchased a Toyota Yaris Trend 13 plate. Great little car, no issues, until...Today. I always open and lock car with fob instead of key, but for some reason today I opened car with key. Got in car, turned on ignition, slight click? No engine turnover. Took key out and tried again, car started straight away. Got out of car, locked car with fob. Got back to car and...click! This time took about six or seven tries to get car going again. Can anyone advise please? Thanks in advance.

Loose/dirty connection on the thick lead on the Battery to starter soleniod, also same on the earth side If this is the case this can cause the connections to warm up and expand resulting in a better connection on the second try. Intermittent fault on ignition switch. As mentioned by David  have the Battery tested by HRDT (High Rate Discharge Tester) which any decent Battery supplier should have as it simulates the heavy load needed by the starter, not a standard volt meter. these suggestions only help if the engine is not being turned over. You merely say the car does not start. It could mean the engine is being loathe to fire

Del

Thanks for speedy reply. Wouldn't this show up as an engine fault on the panel though? I was thinking more along resetting the fob with the "open and close doors 3 times, spit in the wind, say 3 hail Mary's" etc! lol If you are right, any idea of the cost to replace sir?

Thanks Crofter. I shall take a look at that in the morning. As for engine not starting, when I turn key there is a Click somewhere around where the fuses are. And on the times it does start first time it does kick in very smoothly and quickly, no labouring as in a dying Battery. Cheers for advise.

Not sure if the engine management light would show it's self in this case. Think it may be worth seeing if the two nuts on the solonoid, which I think is causing the click, but before you check this disconnect the Battery as  you will have a firework display if the spanner slips and touches both nuts at the same time and could give you a nasty burn :sad:

Wow. Didn't even think of that alan333. Under warranty until may 18. Cheers sir. 

When the car doesn't start try flashing the headlights. Bright or dim ? 

Also try turning headlights on first before starting (again bright or dim ?) They should be bright at all times. If not then suspect a high resistance connection somewhere such as to the Battery as has been mentioned. 

Daft question perhaps, but do you always push the clutch pedal fully down while starting? Recent Toyotas won't start unless the clutch pedal is fully depressed and it caught me out a couple of times when I first bought my Auris.

However, a faulty Battery doesn't usually trigger any warning lights so it could be that.

5 hours ago, yossarian247 said:

Daft question perhaps, but do you always push the clutch pedal fully down while starting? Recent Toyotas won't start unless the clutch pedal is fully depressed and it caught me out a couple of times when I first bought my Auris.

However, a faulty battery doesn't usually trigger any warning lights so it could be that.

You have just proved "Occams Razor" yossarian. Tried this, 5 ignitions, 5 successes. Cheers. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, montaigne said:

You have just proved "Occams Razor" yossarian. Tried this, 5 ignitions, 5 successes. Cheers. 

Fantastic news!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links