Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What gearbox oil do i need?

Corolla3233

I went to an autoparts store today and they gave me 2litres of Comma Ep 80w-90 GL4 mineral gear box oil for my 2005 1.4 vvti Toyota corolla. My manual says it should be 75w-90 gear box oil . Would the oil the store give me be enough and ok to use?  Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

The spec is 75W - 90 as shown in my Toyota handbook and Commas own site; GL4 or GL5.

Using the wrong grade could mean gear selection problems etc, though how much of a problem /difference 75w vs 80w I do not know ??

Just under 2 ltrs is all it takes, there is a tube inside the comma bottle when you open the cap, you squeeze it into the filling hole until it dips out of the same hole.

You must be on level grounds of course ! seen too many folk checking / topping up oil when on a slope :ohmy:

If you have not opened the bottles then take them back for the right grade or refund, any argument show them your car looked up on Comma site which specifies 75w -90.

http://www.commaoil.com/products/results/91101961

Check the API GL number in your manual, it should also give you the quantity.

You should also buy a new washer beneath the drain plug from Toyota, I think that they are only a pound or so.

EDIT:

On refection the washer that I changed looked like aluminium and was a large diameter of about 25/30 mm which was probably for the oil level plug, whatever it would not be a bad idea to change both the washers anyway.  I cannot access my manual at the moment to check

Thanks so much for your advice I will have to take them back and exchange them last thing I want is gearbox problems.👍

37 minutes ago, Corolla3233 said:

Thanks so much for your advice I will have to take them back and exchange them last thing I want is gearbox problems.👍

You do right, its perhaps a small difference, but not worth taking the risk, gearboxes can be fussy beasts.

1 hour ago, olddriver said:

You should also buy a new washer beneath the drain plug from Toyota, I think that they are only a pound or so.

Never used new washers on either the engine or gearbox plugs with  Toyotas, just give them a wipe and not over tighten them,  though probably best to get the correct ones from Toyota.

The gearbox filler plug can be very difficult  to start to move, think its the different metals, use a good fitting spanner and some thick gloves in case it slips off !

Had to give the spanner a belt with a lump hammer to free it on one occasion, as there is not much space to lever it,  though you are probably younger and stronger !