Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T25 d4d clutch replacement

2ld4davensis

2005 avensis d4d, my clutch slips at 3000rpm so brought a replacement. Anyone replaced one before? I want to know how difficult the job is and how long it took. Thanks

You will probably need the dmf done too if you haven't converted to smf. 

Please tell me that doesnt mean dual mass flywheel. They cost a bomb

Yes dual mass flywheel. Shop around you can get them at a fair price or can convert to smf .

How would i convert it to smf? Do i have to use a different clutch as well as the smf?

Don't believe that you need a different clutch just the dmf to smf.so that anytime you need to change clutch it's just a new clutch and not the dmf too.

Thank you for your wisdom i think the dmf is ok but will convert it if it needs replacing

The clutch was replaced on my Avensis 1.5 years ago - the mechanic advised that the DMF does not need replacing (see this post for details). I am not sure about the complexity of the job - but it looks like it takes a lot of time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Toyota diesels seem to be easy on DMF's compared to other brands, because the torque delivery/pulses are not as severe. Artiom, the extra work needed to change the DMF are the bolts holding it to the crankshaft. There seems to be a few SMF kits available. Just be weary of the quality and fitting.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Artiom said:

I am not sure about the complexity of the job - but it looks like it takes a lot of time.

2 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Artiom, the extra work needed to change the DMF are the bolts holding it to the crankshaft.

I agree, the actual flywheel replacement is easy - above I meant the full clutch replacement job. The mechanic who did it for my car said it took him a day and he would not want to do this again :) In any case my Avensis drives even better since and I am happy with it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Artiom said:

I agree, the actual flywheel replacement is easy - above I meant the full clutch replacement job. The mechanic who did it for my car said it took him a day and he would not want to do this again :) In any case my Avensis drives even better since and I am happy with it.

Oops sorry :oops:. Yes the job is more involved on the later Avensis. I was told it was not easy by the person who did my clutch, though he did reconnect and secure the gear position sensor, stopped the EPB working properly and caused the warning lights and display. 

I guess the inspection of the flywheel would confirm if needed or not as we all drive different though it's recommended to change while doing a clutch for "economic reasons" i would be gutted to replace the clutch a lone then a month or longer the dmf going.😣

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Oops sorry :oops:. Yes the job is more involved on the later Avensis. I was told it was not easy by the person who did my clutch, though he did reconnect and secure the gear position sensor, stopped the EPB working properly and caused the warning lights and display. 

I meant to say did 'not' secure the cable and connector to the gear position sensor.

Il wait to buy the flywheel until a mechanic looks at it. It has done 140k but i dont drive with a heavy foot, but will be biting my lip when i take it to be done as the dmf is expensive. Thank you all for your input

• 2 years later...

hi does anyone no where i can get a step by step procedure on how to change clutch on a t25 d4d avensis 2.0d haynes manuals dont cover this car and their is nothing on you tube a original workshop manual by toyota would be just the thing cheer rich

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links