Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacing front springs / lowering

Rob1769

Hi All, looking through a few threads  many seem to have fitted lowered springs to 'give a better look / fll the arches'  rear ones look fairly straight forward ... how about the fronts ??  easy of hard job ??  thanks in advance

Roberto....

Literally done this very job today. 

Three 14mm bolts for ABS and brake lines, steering rack which is 17mm if I remember correctly and 2 x 19mm bolts for the shock on hub. 3 x 12mm nuts at strut tower inside engine bay. 

WD40 them all and a wire brush will help too. 

Its all straightforward enough, so if you're fairly handy with tools, the. You won't have an issue. You also won't or SHOULD'NT need compressors for fitting your new spring onto the shock, but make sure you have it seated on the exact same spot as the old spring. 

If you've got an iQ 1.33 then don't use the same lowering springs as the 1.00, they're different. Everything's a personal choice so it's up to you which make you go for and the size of your wallet. Someone was selling coil-overs a while ago, me??? I went for progressive Spax, always used them. The 30-35mm drop doesn't give too many clearance problems. Just don't buy springs for a 1.00 though.

unfortunately its a 1.0 ltr   :sad:  only one I could find with red leather....    progressive spax ??  point me in the right direction

2015iQ - can you expand on the '' The 30-35mm drop doesn't give too many clearance problems ''    what catches ????

51 minutes ago, Rob1769 said:

unfortunately its a 1.0 ltr   :sad:  only one I could find with red leather....    progressive spax ??  point me in the right direction

This link will give you an understanding of springs........http://automotivethinker.com/suspension/linear-vs-progressive-rate-springs/

This link gives you both (1.00 and both 1.3 petrol and the diesel iQ) the Part Nos. for Spax.....http://www.spaxdirect.com/index.php?cPath=348_1810_1811&osCsid=f09fb56c74fc7234915ae12273d596d9

I found that lowering 30mm was fine for negotiating various speed bumps and not too bad for comfort. On some occasions though, the factory front flaps (in front of the front wheels) scraped the road. You can go lower but generally people tend to say the ride is harsher. 

Obviously though, by fitting wider tyres and especially lower profile tyres, ride comfort is generally harder than factory set up.....and of course, check with your insurer first. When I lowered mine my insurers were fine (ker-ching as per normal) but would have to check if I went lower than 50mm.

Lowering is (and only imo)  the best way to fill the arches. Just make sure you get the right tyre/rim size combo.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links