Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

3rd gear crunch . . But only above 14-1500rpm

T-Sport Novice

As the title says boys and girls. It doesn't do it if you keep clutch in and let the revs drop then change though. It feels as if something is out of sync. Any suggestions? 

I have mate but there not the issue, pedal goes all the way, I thought it was this at first yesterday too

Hi,

Is it a new car to you, fault just started or always there since you got it ?

Often said such crunching is a worn synchromesh,  if it was the clutch would expect problems in selecting other gears.

The only thing you can do is change the gearbox oil and see if that make a difference.

Final solution my be a gearbox repair or exchange which also means a new clutch as a matter of course.

Try looking up garages in your area that specialize in Gearbox repairs, often cheaper and quicker.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, oldcodger said:

Hi,

Is it a new car to you, fault just started or always there since you got it ?

Often said such crunching is a worn synchromesh,  if it was the clutch would expect problems in selecting other gears.

The only thing you can do is change the gearbox oil and see if that make a difference.

Final solution my be a gearbox repair or exchange which also means a new clutch as a matter of course.

Try looking up garages in your area that specialize in Gearbox repairs, often cheaper and quicker.

It's the same car as before and it only recently started doing it OC, syncro was my latest thought too as no problem selecting other gears, jut 3rd. 

I'm reluctant to spend anymore money as it's got a lot of other problems and I'm planning a newer one next year, hopefully! 

Thanks for your help guys 

How long since it had a gearbox oil change  or  level check.

For the price of a couple of ltrs of gear oil well worth a try as it could cure the problem or at least help prevent it getting worse as cleaner oil will help it select/mesh better.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, oldcodger said:

How long since it had a gearbox oil change  or  level check.

For the price of a couple of ltrs of gear oil well worth a try as it could cure the problem or at least help prevent it getting worse as cleaner oil will help it select/mesh better.

I have no actual idea, could be years for all I know, only had it 4-5 months. I'll give it a go and hopefully makes it a bit better 

• 2 weeks later...

Gear crunch, probably between, third and fourth, is a weak spot on T sports.  A gearbox oil change usually does help but longer term a replacement box, and clutch at the same time is the long term solution.  There is a hybrid box around that makes sixth longer than it it and help fuel economy.  I find 5th and 6th little difference and keep trying to change up from 6th into the next gear as well....which isn't there!!

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links