Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poor DAB

Matt G

Had my Business Edition Company Car for a week now - Great MPG - 66+ upto 80 sometimes - but finding the DAB radio so flaky - Radio 2 fine - but others such as absoulte 80;s 90's  etc only lasts for a second then goes off. I guess its not the fact the cars DAB is for the younger generation and its blocked - lol.  Loving the Car - just can't get the DAB to get stations that stay on. Had numerous hire cars for the past year and not had issues like this. I know tuning it in the area you are driving is best for local stations - but national stations -  I only do a 30 mile radius each day so it shouldn't have issues.

I test-drove a Prius a couple of weeks ago and the radio behaved almost identically to my Yaris, which is generally very good.

With DAB it does depend very much on where you are as to how good the reception is. I find driving past certain lorries can cause the DAB to fade or drop out, as well as operating electric windows, or the headlight level adjustment (but these are transient).

I can generally get DAB fine in the countryside as long as I'm not in dense forested areas (though that is not always a problem either), but I have a harder time in hilly areas or town/cities where it is prone to fading out for no reason (multi-path reflections) or no reception areas (especially around dense neighborhoods where there is a lot of RF noise).

Does it behave the same in the same areas? Mine is fairly consistent, down to specific sections of road.

Make sure you have the DAB radio option "use alternative frequency" selected, and select "L-Band" too (this may or may not give you more stations).

One thing I find really :laugh: is how well the AM radio works! It's amazing.