Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Touch-Up Paint Chip

YarisHybrid2016

Hi,

I have received the touch-up paint for my car, so I can fix a couple of paint chips on the A pillar.

The first and last time I did this (to my old car) it was an unmitigated disaster! Thankfully it wasn't too obvious in that instance, but I'd like to avoid a repeat, especially as it is in a more prominent position this time.

Does anyone have any tips for doing this? The pack includes two parts - the paint, and a clear-coat. The instructions seem simple enough, but I am by no means an artist! Think bumbling gorilla trying to paint with a tree branch... :laugh:

I'm half-tempted to just take it to the paint guy and get him to do it. :blush:

Don't use the brush they give you - buy a smaller, finer brush just for touch-up jobs - means you can be a lot more precise. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, MRichards said:

Don't use the brush they give you - buy a smaller, finer brush just for touch-up jobs - means you can be a lot more precise. 

Agreed. I use a wooden toothpick for the tiny chips. It sometimes helps to blunt the point a little first, depending on the chip size.

I've also used touch up "spears". A bit like a cotton bud but harder and pointed.

• Thanks 1

What I do is cover the surrounding paintwork with masking tape. Very carefully. Prevents overruns. Then very carefully using fine wet and dry paper  - wetted- smooth down the edges of the chip - if it is of any size. (I don't bother with pinprick chips). Then using a fine brush, put a thin coat of paint on. Let it dry , repeat.. And again until chip filled.. Cleaning brush after each application. PIA but less is best.

• Thanks 1

I am no expert on this, but the touch-up paint and clear-coat will probably be cellulose paint. the rest of the car will be a newer generation of more environmentally-friendly paint, which I have heard described as 'two-pack', or even 'water-based'(!) by body repairers.

If you buy some cellulose thinners (250ml) from a motor factors, then if the painting all goes horribly wrong you can remove it with some thinners on a cotton bud.  The surrounding paintwork is largely unaffected by the thinners, and a quick polish with T-Cut or similar will put it back to where it was. You can then do it again and again until you are happy with it.

Also a few drops of the thinners can be used to make the touch-up paint a better(?) viscosity (care required not to add too much).

Cellulose thinners is pungent and contains xylene and a load of other solvents, so best not to get it on your hands etc., but the touch-up paint will have some of this in it anyway.

Alternatively, isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) is available from chemists to order, about £8 for 500ml. As well as being an excellent degreasant, it slowly removes cellulose paint if a mistake is made.

It is relatively harmless on skin (removes oils pretty fast though!). It can also be used to remove car wax from where it is not required. And is excellent for removing ball-point pen from leather sofas and seats etc. and cleaning electrical contacts in switches. It leaves no residue and has a very low viscosity.

Isopropanol is a major ingredient in some more expensive screen wash additives IIRC.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links