Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Auris Hybrid owner questions

16_Auris_HSD

Hi guys
I've just acquired a new to me Auris HSD estate, it's a 16 plate with 25k miles on the clock . The car is a one previous owner (Toyota) example, it's fairly mint with rear seats and the boot looking like they were never used - it still has the protective blue film on some of the chrome bits. There are some marks in the front but nothing that would indicate that Toyota makes low quality cars that fall apart easily. Quite contrary.

That said there are some issues that I wanted to hear your opinion on:

- Both doors don't have grease on the hinges like all my previous cars had before. This causes them to make a nasty noise when opening and closing. Is this standard for Toyota?
- I get quite a few rattles in both front doors.
- Central lower console where the knee and armrests are moves about a bit causing the fake leather to rub and make an annoying noise.
- I also get a rattle from what seems to be either instrument cluster or steering column. This is combined with steering making clunking noise when hitting lock at the end of each turn. Also I heard a similar clunk when going over bumps a couple of times. Quick search on google suggests that Toyota had a bit of a history with steering column issues. Is this still an issue?
- Front parking sensors go off at random times, especially when it's wet. I realise there are circumstances when this could happen but the frequency with which it happens on this car doesn't seem normal.
- Lastly, I noticed that when I start the car up from cold and the engine kicks in before I engage gear engaging gear produces a bit of mechanical noise. Like it didn't declutch properly. It only happened twice. Once it was pretty violent but I assumed that it might have been caused by the disengaging of the parking pawl. The other time when it happened - less violently - I was coming out of reverse into D. Again is this normal for eCVT?

I appreciate your feedback on these. I don't want to go to the supplying dealer and have them start taking the trim apart since this usually ends up introducing more rattles. But since I'm still in the grace period if the car is fubared I'd rather exchange it than be stuck with a lemon.

Thanks

As regards the door hinges, it is normal for these to be greased, and in my experience this is checked during routine servicing.

Toyota service intervals are every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Intermediate services are due at 1 year/10,000miles, 3 years/30,000 miles, etc. Full services are due at 2 years/20,000 miles, 4 years/40,000 miles, etc.

So your vehicle being a 2016 model with 25,000 miles, should already have had the first intermediate service at 10,000 miles, and the first full service at 20,000 miles. The second intermediate service will be due at 30,000 or three years of age, whichever occurs first, unless the dealer serviced the car before you took delivery.

Yeah, the servicing is on point, whoever drove it kept it serviced as per book well within grace periods. That's what made me take it even thought the mileage was slightly higher than what I wanted. Supplying dealer even gave it a service before it was listed for sale (at least the stamp is there). But the hinges are bone dry, I wish I noticed it when I test drove it. I though that maybe it was involved in an accident and had doors replaced but a) the bolts seem factory, there's no sign of any tampering on them b) it's unlikely they'd replace both sides unless it was a cut and shut job.

18 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

s regards the door hinges, it is normal for these to be greased, and in my experience this is checked during routine servicing.

Not at the dealer I use. I spray grease them myself every couple of months plus the door stay. They weren't even lubricated from the factory or pre delivery. If you use a Toyota dealers for servicing then they must be unique, "checked" is not the same as lubricated!

It's not listed as part of any of their service schedules  from and including intermediate to full plus.

• Thanks 1

That at least confirms it to be "normal", at least for Toyota. The doors make a sound reminiscent of Yugo/FSO/Trabant/any other old EE bloc product but I'm not worried about accident damage any more.

4 minutes ago, mrpj said:

I spray grease them myself every couple of months plus the door stay.

What sort of grease do you use and would recommend for this?

With my last four Toyotas the Toyota dealer I use has checked, and lubricated if needed, the door hinges/stays at each service - and that is my experience.  Our Hyundai's have the same done by the Hyundai dealer, including the tailgate hinges. So probably varies.

Not had an issue with either of these six cars.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links