Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Power Steering problem

Prokash

I have a 2007 Toyota auris 1.6 vvti.

Was driving in the morning fine to a location and parked up fine. Upon return to the car and starting the engine, I get a warning on the dash saying 'check power steering' and the P/S light ignited. The steering wheel also went heavy meaning the power steering was not active. Since then I've had it checked by a mechanic who had checked all fuses and relays and had not found a problem with them. Have also disconnected and reconnected the Battery in hopes to reset the ECU but that's not worked either. 

If any one else has had this same problem please get back to me with what you think is the most likely problem as I definitely do not want a Toyota dealership charging me up to £1000 on a repair for a 10 year old car.

I am very disappointed this sort of problem has occured as I look after the car very well and have always had a good impression of Toyota's for reliability. The way it has let me down is what I expect from french branded cars. 

Get the Battery and alternator checked, to make sure they are both supplying adequate current. The power steering relies on a healthy supply of amps.

Thought I'd update this feed. After reading posts from other toyota auris owners on this site, I noticed the power steering ecu mentioned alot, so I decided that as being the culprit.

Luckily found a power steering ecu on eBay for £80 and paid to get it fitted by a mechanic for £70. Happy to say it solved the problem and the power steering is now working as normal, steering wheel is no longer heavy, 'check power steering' warning and P/S light has disappeared.  

Very relieved that this fix worked as it saved me a trip from the extortionate Toyota dealership who quoted me a parts and labour tatal of £800+ to simply change out a power steering ecu unit which is roughly the size of a box of tissues and took only 1 hour to change out.

Thank you to all the people who suffered from this same experience and shared your experience on this site, really made a difference.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links