Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

bottom hose clamp rusty

monkeydave

has anyone else got a rusty bottom hose clamp? and if so is it normal on the yaris?

cheers

I had a bottom hose clamp fail (not on a Toyota). The subsequent total loss of coolant led to a seizure.

I suggest you get it replaced. Is it not still under warranty?

thanks for your reply

yes it is under warranty, just under 1 year old

it just looks like surface corrosion and the trouble is you have to remove the hose to replace it and hopefully dont get the plastic tube on the bottom of the radiator damaged as it is only plastic

do you think something like a hose clamp is under warranty? it will be going in in a couple of weeks time for its first service and a alternator pulley replacement (hopefully) because of a clicky bearing

Report it to the dealer before the service and during the service they should inspect the part and replace it if necessary.

• Like 1

Hi, if your alternator pulley/bearing is clicky then it needs a new alternator, not just a pulley, Mike.

11 hours ago, Mike169 said:

Hi, if your alternator pulley/bearing is clicky then it needs a new alternator, not just a pulley, Mike.

its loud and then clicks like the bearing in the pulley is faulty and then after 10 or so mins it is all normal and quiet again and as it is a clutch pulley it might just be that, hear for yourself

and here is the bottom hose clamp, the other ones ar normal silver and this is the only one rusty like this

Photo1194.jpg

Photo1195.jpg

17 hours ago, monkeydave said:

thanks for your reply

yes it is under warranty, just under 1 year old

it just looks like surface corrosion and the trouble is you have to remove the hose to replace it and hopefully dont get the plastic tube on the bottom of the radiator damaged as it is only plastic

do you think something like a hose clamp is under warranty? it will be going in in a couple of weeks time for its first service and a alternator pulley replacement (hopefully) because of a clicky bearing

Hi David,  I personally do not know the build up of your engine but do you know if it is timing chain driven or cambelt. The belt you can see is called the serpentine belt, I don't mean that one as that bad rattle sounds like a timing chain to me and it may be there is nothing wrong with the alternator but if it is the timing chain is that noisy then that is a much worse problem. I hope my thoughts are wrong and it is a new alternator needed but it needs more than a pulley but that sound could easily be the timing chain, the chain adjuster may of failed. I suggest you don't tell the garage what the car needs, let them diagnose it as it's easier to diagnose the fault with a head under the bonnet.

That radiator clip is leaking, you can see all the splashes coming out of it, yes it needs a new one. Good to read your car is still under warranty as this could be quite an expensive repair.

Keep us all informed, Mike.

the car is a 66 plate and it hasnt used any coolant in the 6000 miles i have had it

i have been all over the engine with the camera and even had the oil cap off when running and i dont think it is the chain as it is quiet, the noise is comming from the alternator area as if you listen when the camera gets right up to the pulley it is really loud

cheers

if it is chain noise is it normal for chain noise to go quiet when engine is fully warmed up and to only happen from cold? i know if it is a tensioner fault there is usually a noise when first starting the engine, which mine does not do

i will keep you informed when it goes in in a couple of weeks

Hi David.

Don't worry too much about your noise, it's the garages job to diagnose and repair, let them have the headache, lol.

Mike.

Hey David.

Read this post, sounds exactly the same problem as yours, Mike.

thanks for the link

the thing about slack chains is that they make a loud noise for a couple of seconds as you start the car and mine starts up normally and comes in gradually and away after 10 mins

cheers

As you say after 10 mins the noise goes away, that's probably because the oil has warmed up and gets through a tiny hole somewhere. When the oil is cold it is thicker but as it warms up it gets thinner. Your car may just need 2 or 3 oil changes as old oil goes thick due to the impurities in it and new oil is thinner, naturally, has your car been regularly serviced? Mike.

11 hours ago, Mike169 said:

As you say after 10 mins the noise goes away, that's probably because the oil has warmed up and gets through a tiny hole somewhere. When the oil is cold it is thicker but as it warms up it gets thinner. Your car may just need 2 or 3 oil changes as old oil goes thick due to the impurities in it and new oil is thinner, naturally, has your car been regularly serviced? Mike.

its just comming up for its first service at 6000 miles its a 66 plate

• 2 weeks later...

well car is in today  and the head mechanic heared it and now they dont seem to be able to hear the noise anymore and they said maybe wait till it gets worse,  what a shower and if they dont stand by their warranty why should i pay extra for servicing, total joke, they just lost service and new car down the road, not impressed one bit

got my car back today and the noise is changed into a vibrating noise that lasts about the same time before the car is fully up to temp, but they cant hear it after having the car for two days even after the mechanic hearing it before it left it with them  and dont get me started about the service, they say they checked the pollen filter but how could they when the service book was in the glove box in the same position i left it and i had to go back in for a stamp and not filled the screenwash, and they ticked things like carcoal canister and valve clearances which are not on the first service,  basically i paid 165 for an oil change and a car wash (which was a good wash, glad to know someone knows how to do their job at this dealer)

my one year old car sounds like its 15 years old and they say the car has been inspected and everything is perfect

they were more interested in selling me fuel treatment for £29 for a 6500 mile car that does 48mpg and then when i declined they turned deaf

might as well go independent next year as they dont uphold their warranty and i dont think my next car will be toyota after how i have been treated, back to honda for me,

As far as I'm aware, the glovebox is unclipped from the dash in order to inspect or change the cabin air filter - which doesn't necessarily disturb the contents of the glovebox.

nope it comes out as one piece like a bucket, two tabs, one each side, i have done it myself

9 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As far as I'm aware, the glovebox is unclipped from the dash in order to inspect or change the cabin air filter - which doesn't necessarily disturb the contents of the glovebox.

8 hours ago, monkeydave said:

nope it comes out as one piece like a bucket, two tabs, one each side, i have done it myself

That is what I've said - so the contents aren't necessarily disturbed, and the service book could remain in the same position as you placed it in. Same as the two Auris I've owned.

You haven't said whether the rusty bottom hose clamp was replaced - which is the subject of this topic. So has it been replaced or not?

" so the contents aren't necessarily disturbed, and the service book could remain in the same position as you placed it in. "

So you would be able to remove and refit the glovebox completely and not disturb it's contents? Wow, I'm impressed.

the hose clamp wasnt replaced, they cant pinpoint the noise and basically for a main dealer they are totally shoddy

one minuite they say they cannot hear it (even though the head mechanic heared it with me before i left it) , then they cannot pinpoint it and next the car has been checked even though you can tell the belt hasn't even been removed, basically they did nothing apart from change the oil and try to sell me fuel additives

and on my invoice they didnt put on investigated noise, so in the future they can deny any noise was there

all they had to do was take the belt off and if the noise was still there it is chain side and if not it is belt/pulley side but they didnt even do that. i just hope it isnt my chain guides that are vibrating and might cause  them to fail

Hi David.

I agree with you about taking the belt off to pinpoint the source of the noise. The bit that concerns me is if it is the chain clattering about on the inside of the metal chain cover then it could quite easily scrape shavings of metal off the inside of the cover and mix with your oil which will obviously damage the internals of your engine. Mike.

36 minutes ago, Mike169 said:

Hi David.

I agree with you about taking the belt off to pinpoint the source of the noise. The bit that concerns me is if it is the chain clattering about on the inside of the metal chain cover then it could quite easily scrape shavings of metal off the inside of the cover and mix with your oil which will obviously damage the internals of your engine. Mike.

well they said the car is perfect now and i went out and started the car, which sounded good and then this buzzin noise started after a couple of mins, this different noise comes in from about two mins and lasts for a few mins and the engine is smooth again, they said it wasnt chain as it doesnt make a loud noise from cold, the new oil might have quietened it down to produce this new buzzing noise, unless it is a heat shield somewhere i cant see as i have checked all the shields for buzzing but after having the car for two days i expect more from a main toyota dealer

they didnt mention if they found particulates of metal in the oil filter so probably not

the thing is what i do next year for the £295 oil change seeing as they dont care about warranty issues

i have also used the long screwdriver trick on the alternator, tension pulley and engine block and nothing stands out as to where this noise is comming from, i cant see or feel any vibrating heatshields anywhere

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links