Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Potential Auris Owner's Questions

John_Lickman

Hi,

I'm looking to buy an Auris.  Something that's two years old and not a Hybrid or a Diesel. So I think my choice is between a 1.2 Turbo and a 1.6.  I'm planning on keeping it for 8 to 10 years.

So, my questions are:

1. How reliable is the turbo?  I'm worried about the long term reliability of a more highly stressed engine.

2. Is the 1.6 more powerful?  How much more sporty does it feel to drive?

3. Are there any other common faults or issues that I should be on the look out for when buying an Auris?

Thanks in advance for any help.

John

The one difference between the 1.2T and 1.6 petrol is that the 1.6 cars will be pre 2015 facelift, and the 1.2T post 2015 facelift.

The 1.6 produces 132bhp and the 1.2T 122bhp.

Thanks for the response.  I will keep the facelift thing in mind.

Are there any other common faults or issues that I should be looking out for when buying an Auris?

Hi John hope your well,

I have an Auris 1.2t Excel. I have driven the 1.6 diesel (bmw engine) and its loud noisy and I found the gearbox clunky. Plus with any modern diesel you have the DPF issues and EGR issues that could arrise. However depending on your mileage you may not encounter these.

As for the 1.2 it’s a fantastic engine, believe me it’s not stressed at the power it’s putting out. Power wise I think it’s not bad, quite a lot torque for that engine low down on the revs. Bit of a dead spot just before you reach 1200rpm but from then right up to 6200 your off. If you want a lot of power use the engine right to the redline after 4000rpm is where you power is, many people drive theese cars incorrectly and complain there isn’t any power, you have to rev a petrol like this if you want to make progress. Gearbox in mine is lovely very smooth very well geared.

Economy wise, it depends how you drive. Yes I have seen 60mpg out of it on a hot summers day doing a steady 65-70mph on the motoway. Round town currently my partner manages to average around 38-42mpg that’s in a lot of stop start traffic.

I’m not going to lie it isn’t easy to get brilliant economy. You do have to try for it and be gentle with it to get good economy. Keep it below 4000rpm and it won’t use too much fuel. Over that and it does drink it a bit. 

Fuel wise I’ve tried them all and now only use premium fuel in it, this car does have a knock sensor so it does benefit from higher octane fuel, plus being direct injection and turbo I do personally think it helps keep it running smooth and powerful.

If you want any more info just ask and I will be happy to answer any questions.

Kind Regards

Chris

6 minutes ago, chrismorrow said:

Hi John hope your well,

I have an Auris 1.2t Excel. I have driven the 1.6 diesel (bmw engine) and its loud noisy and I found the gearbox clunky. Plus with any modern diesel you have the DPF issues and EGR issues that could arrise. However depending on your mileage you may not encounter these.

I think that he meant the 1.6 Valvematic, not diesel.

Make sure you like the touch only media interface the facelift got because it is something I will never get used to. Whoever thought that getting rid of the volume knob and the mute button is a great idea deserves a special kind of medal.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't comment on the 1.2 turbo as I never looked or test drove one, I have the 1.6 icon petrol tourer (2013).  I do around 18-20k per year & find it comfortable & as economical as I need (since buying it I have an overall average of 40.2mpg).  

I will admit to missing the grunt low down (I'm used to High powered turbo cars) but when you take it above 4k rpm it brings a smile to your face. It isn't the quickest car out there & I find it reminds me of my 1st car, lacking in power but handles very well, it helps you read the road further ahead.

It is mainly used by me commuting the 60mile round trip from the Peak District into Leeds (mixture of A/B roads/Motorway & start/stop city driving).  Outside of the commute it is our main family car (x2 adults/2 children 10/12yr old & dog).  Lots of shortish journeys/hills/holidays to Devon with a roofbox/bikes on the roof etc.

I think they are a cracking car for the money.  Since my ownership over the last 18months, I've had to replace the rear wiper blade/headlight bulbs (1 failed so kept the other as a spare), otherwise it's just had routine servicing.

Oh, I did buy some 17" wheels to use as my summer wheels & have fitted some winter tyres to my original 16" wheels.

IMG-20160421-WA0002.jpg