Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Turbo removal guide 4.2 D4D 2003

Tobiasstaermose

Okay first post here, but read alot on the forums, and want to add my experience.

I got the car from a my aunt as she was goind to scrap it because of the high cost of having it fixed.

Its a 2003 RAV4 2.0 D4D with 255.000km on the clock and a dead turbo.

So this is a my guide to removing/replacing the turbo:

What you need, all bolts are 10, 12 or 14mm. You will need spanners, ratches and a small 1/4" "t-bar". Long extenders for the ratchet, a minimun of 250mm and 100mm should do for a 1/2" system. Alot of WD40 or what ever penatrant you like, and a small tortch, when i say small i mean one of tiny ones you have in the kitchen for making creme brulee. 

A jack, but you dont need to lift the car, although lifting the left front just 10cm will help alot.

You should also have fresh oil and filters.

Give yourself a weekend to do this. Its a !Removed! job, but this guide should get you all the way :)

(Left and right is alwas as seem when Looking at the engine from the fromt of the car.

Okay:
1. Remove the airbox
2. Remove the intercooler
3. Remove the engine cover
4. Remove the 3 heat shields from the turbo and cat.
5. Take of the small bracket the holds the large coolant pipe just to the left front og the turbo.
6. Remove 1 nut from left of the cat that holds it to its to bracket, dont bother with the bracket it self.
7. Go in under the car, take the 14mm socket on you bubble extender and remove the two bolts from under the cat. Again dont bother with the bracket it self.
8. Now run the car for 10-15 minutes to warm up alle the bolts on the turbo.
9. Remove the two bolts holding the turbo to its bracket on the left, leave the bracket. 
10. Remove the 3 nuts that secures the turbo to the cat.
11. Under the turbo facing the firewall you have two bolts, heat them (or mainly the metal around them) with you torch. You might wanner unbolt a small bracket holding a brakeline on the firewall behinde the turbo to the right. And then use all you might to un do the two bolts on the bottom/back og the turbo/manifold.
12. Now remove the two coolant hoses to the front og the turbo.
13. Using a bit of massaging to get a 14mm socket and a extender to get the final bolt on the front of the turbo/manifold. 
14. Using a small extender and a 10mm socket on the small t-bar remoce the bolts holding the oilfeed to the turbo.
15. Take your jack and gently lift on the first part of the exhourst make sure the cat does not snag on the large coolant pipe and get it over its left bracket. 
16. Now you should have enough room to wiggle of the turbo ;)

Now repair the turbo, i suggests getting a cartridge kit as it is all the moving parts pre fitted. Cean the turbo parts that you dont replace.
And make sure that the housing go back with the same orientation as stock.

Make sure to keep all the gaskets, the oem parts are very high quality and i would reuse them instead of the paper ones you have most likely gotten in you kit for the turbo. 

As long as everything is out you have much better acces to the fuel filter and egr valve ;) 

Now refit the turbo, the same as removing it just in reverse.

Befor fitting the engien cover, intercooler and air box you have to prime the turbo with oil,: unplug the 4 injector connectors, and crank the engine to get oil and coolant to the turbo. Make sure the turbo dont leek and spins with very little effort. Now refit the cover and intercooler. Leave the airbox of to have a better look at the turbo.
Now i would run the car at idle for 10-20 minutes to get the oil warm and then do and oil change.

Thats it, refit the airbox and take it for a test spin.

Im no mechanic, and i have most likely done it in a wierd way and forgot alot, but i hope some one will se it and post what ever i forgot :)

Cheers
Toby

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 9/30/2017 at 1:53 PM, Tobiasstaermose said:

e car from a my aunt as she was goind to scrap it because of the high cost of having it fixed.

hi Tobias...can you please send me a video or something please.......i am in the same problem......with turbo i mean.....but there is so many mechanical things and words, i don't know how they look iveen , but a video will help me a lot....thx verryy much.....and sorry for my bad english as well :) 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links