Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

MOT - High brake fluctuation

Baxter01

so had my MOT yesterday and passed

the brake fluctuation on axel 1 was 80 and 90 %, axel 2 was 80 and 91%.

It was done in Northern Ireland so is carried out by DVA test centres, not independent garages

Here we drive the car in, sit in the drivers seat and follow instructions, go through light checks etc.

He didnt check a lot of things, didnt check hazards lights or seatbelts, was not asked to open fuel cap and didnt open the hood for any off those checks.

I then moved to passenger seat and he jumps in for the brake tests,  when the car went forward on the rolling bars after the brake efficiency test,  it just didnt sound right, sounded like something was wrong with the roll bars as i never heard the noise before during the test.

tester didn't say anything, I just got out and he drove it onto the ramp to check tyres etc.

he gives me the pass certificate and never even mentioned the fluctuation so not sure what the high numbers mean, or if the machine is faulty or if he messed it up, and as i said earlier, he left out a lot of checks too.  Also the percentages almost identical on both axels

I did have two new rear tyres fitted 7 days earlier, less than 50 miles on them at time of MOT and had the car washed the day before.  I think the fitter overinflated the tyres too as they seen harder that normal and the guy said the pressure on my front tyres was slightly low so he increased them,  However anytime I have checked previously they have been spot on.

any advice appreciated

The Northern Ireland MOT process is different to other parts of the UK - https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/vehicle-test-procedures

If you wish to comment or complain about the test carried out on your vehicle, DVA should have a feedback or complaints process you can follow.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links