Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

AurisvAvensis

sproutdreamer

I am wanting a newer Avensis or Auris to replace my 08 TR Avensis. I love my old Avensis but want better headlights, Osram Nightbreakers help a little but not as good as HID/Xenen/LED's. The Auris 1.6 shows slightly more HP than the T25 Avensis and about 10mpg better as well as lower road tax so all goodthere. About 13" shorter than a T25 and the same height and width so a bit lighter. I am going to struggle to get the lighting spec I want and petrol 1.6-1.8 and auto so a higher spec a must and these are optional extras.

How does the Auris compare to the Avensis in the years 12 to 14. I know nothing about the Auris and would welcome some feedback about the Auris?

The Auris is from the market sector below the Avensis, and thus has a shorter wheelbase, which provides less room inside (mainly for the rear passengers) - 2600mm as opposed to 2700mm.

The second generation Auris (December 2012 onwards) is a re-worked first generation, and carried forward the first generation's Type Approval from 2007. Less headroom than the first generation. 

As regards fuel consumption, rather than going by the official figures which don't provide an indication of what an owner may achieve in real life, have a look at Honest John's Real MPG pages:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/auris-2013/16

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/avensis-2003/18-vvt-i

• Like 1

Not sure about Auris 2013, but there is a significant comfort difference between my Avensis 2005 and Auris 2007.

Avensis is overall more comfortable - better seats, softer suspension and better sound-proofing. Also it may have a bit more gimmicks - for example Avensis has a button to fold the mirrors :) Please note that the ride comfort may feel different because my Auris is SR - afaik it has different suspension.

7 minutes ago, Artiom said:

Avensis has a button to fold the mirrors :)

The facelift first generation Auris had the same - presumably carried forwards to the second generation

I own a 17 plate Avensis (1.8 petrol manual)  and a 14 plate auris 1.6 petrol manual (both tourers).

Avensis is far bigger and more comfortable in the rear (and front but more noticeably in the rear).

Boot in tourer versions almost identical width but avensis is about 8" longer front to back - haven't measured but seems higher as well at the point of boot opening.

1.6 auris petrol regularly gets 47-50mpg on mixed rural roads (over 50mpg on a run) Avensis 1.8 petrol gets 42mpg over the same route (regular commute).  On paper both claim almost identical 45-46mpg combined but auris is about 15-20% more fuel efficient in the real world brim to brim.

Gadget wise the avensis is far better specced and a far nicer place to sit over longer journeys.  Different feel of quality between the 2 cars, avensis is quieter and smoother and feels more solidly built.  Internally and driver convenience the avensis is a long way ahead.

I actually prefer the auris to drive on country roads (surprisingly enjoyable) but prefer the avensis on motorways.  Neither car is a problem on the others terrain but one is better than the other at each type of driving.

Very happy with both cars and would recommend either.  The auris is (in my opinion) best in the 1.6 at that age. 1.3 felt underpowered.  Also test drove the new 1.2 and much preferred the 1.6 I had.  Fuel consumption on 1.2 and 1.3 meant to be better but regarding actual results I'm not convinced they're any more efficient on real driving!!! 

Icon level trim (business edition on newer versions) seem to be the best spec to go for for most people.  Active very basic, higher levels gave things I didn't need (although I appreciate everyone expects different things from their cars).

Hope that is useful...... obviously just my views/ramblings!

• Like 1

Should also add the lights in the 2014 auris tourer were shocking.  Had the units replaced under warranty as known issue and a bit better but still not great!

5 hours ago, Willss said:

Gadget wise the avensis is far better specced and a far nicer place to sit over longer journeys.  Different feel of quality between the 2 cars, avensis is quieter and smoother and feels more solidly built.  Internally and driver convenience the avensis is a long way ahead.

I agree with this. You feel/know that the Avensis is a class above the Auris.

22 hours ago, Willss said:

I own a 17 plate Avensis (1.8 petrol manual)  and a 14 plate auris 1.6 petrol manual (both tourers).

Avensis is far bigger and more comfortable in the rear (and front but more noticeably in the rear).

Boot in tourer versions almost identical width but avensis is about 8" longer front to back - haven't measured but seems higher as well at the point of boot opening.

1.6 auris petrol regularly gets 47-50mpg on mixed rural roads (over 50mpg on a run) Avensis 1.8 petrol gets 42mpg over the same route (regular commute).  On paper both claim almost identical 45-46mpg combined but auris is about 15-20% more fuel efficient in the real world brim to brim.

I actually prefer the auris to drive on country roads (surprisingly enjoyable) but prefer the avensis on motorways.  Neither car is a problem on the others terrain but one is better than the other at each type of driving.

Very happy with both cars and would recommend either.  The auris is (in my opinion) best in the 1.6 at that age. 1.3 felt underpowered.  Also test drove the new 1.2 and much preferred the 1.6 I had.  Fuel consumption on 1.2 and 1.3 meant to be better but regarding actual results I'm not convinced they're any more efficient on real driving!!! 

Icon level trim (business edition on newer versions) seem to be the best spec to go for for most people.  Active very basic, higher levels gave things I didn't need (although I appreciate everyone expects different things from their cars).

Hope that is useful...... obviously just my views/ramblings!

Hi WILLss

Thanks for such a detailed comparison of the Avensis and Auris. As my wife has arthritis and feels every bump on the road it looks as if we need the comfort of an Avensis. I had thought the Auris very similar just a bit smaller and more economical but it looks as if we need an Avensis for comfort.

The thing driving this change is my need for better headlights (have had eye surgery retinal hole so I suffer from post operative glare) so I want HID or xenon or LED with adaptive and follow me home features as I follow other cars with much better headlamps than my T25 even with new Nightbreaker bulbs.. Have you got the standard headlights and how are they? I am struggling to find an Avensis of any spec or any age with these features as they were probably an (expensive?) extra.

18 minutes ago, sproutdreamer said:

The thing driving this change is my need for better headlights (have had eye surgery retinal hole so I suffer from post operative glare) so I want HID or Xenon or LED with adaptive and follow me home features as I follow other cars with much better headlamps than my T25 even with new Nightbreaker bulbs.. Have you got the standard headlights and how are they? I am struggling to find an Avensis of any spec or any age with these features as they were probably an (expensive?) extra.

Afaik you need a T27 T Spirit or Excel for HID/LED & adaptive/AFS as standard (they may have been optional on other trims but probably rarely taken up). 

If you also want follow me home iirc only available 2015> 

& if you want it in a petrol auto unless you are buying new ex-factory I would imagine an extremely rare combo.

26 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

Afaik you need a T27 T Spirit or Excel for HID/LED & adaptive/AFS as standard (they may have been optional on other trims but probably rarely taken up). 

If you also want follow me home iirc only available 2015> 

& if you want it in a petrol auto unless you are buying new ex-factory I would imagine an extremely rare combo.

Yes you have it I need a 2015 top end Avensis even then I will need to check the spec to be sure .

Just for fun ( as I would not wish to spend the cost of a new car as the depreciation would hurt too much) I tried the Toyota build a new car spec juist to see what the various trim levels include and what you can get as optional extras. It is an appalling website as it does not give real details e.g how the pre collision avoidance works and can you disable it if you wish, does the Excel have follow me home lights, one model Business Edition Plus shows clever front foglights that operate when you turn a corner to give low level kerb tracking light, the Excel has Adaptive lighting but does not explain exactly what it means by this.......

Thanks for all replies I do appreciate the info!

The excel spec' has larger wheels 18" than my business edition 17" so expect the ride to be a bit less smooth. 

I bought new as there were so few (virtually zero) nearly new used petrols about.  Got my local dealership to match the price of a couple of the new car websites and therefore saved a LOT off the list price and about £2500 off the best Car Wow price I received.  I appreciate that depreciation will be huge on my new car but intend to keep it for 8-10years.  A 2 yr old one with 30k miles on it would have saved me about £5500k off what I paid new so it is a judgement call as to what is best.  Don't usually do Gap insurance but did on this occasion (not thr' dealership) in view of the likely depreciation.

9 minutes ago, Willss said:

Don't usually do Gap insurance but did on this occasion (not thr' dealership) in view of the likely depreciation.

As regards GAP insurance, TOC members can get a small discount on GAP insurance through ALA - 

1 hour ago, sproutdreamer said:

Yes you have it I need a 2015 top end Avensis even then I will need to check the spec to be sure .

Just for fun ( as I would not wish to spend the cost of a new car as the depreciation would hurt too much) I tried the Toyota build a new car spec juist to see what the various trim levels include and what you can get as optional extras. It is an appalling website as it does not give real details e.g how the pre collision avoidance works and can you disable it if you wish, does the Excel have follow me home lights, one model Business Edition Plus shows clever front foglights that operate when you turn a corner to give low level kerb tracking light, the Excel has Adaptive lighting but does not explain exactly what it means by this.......

It's not the most intuitive website but pretty much all the information is there if you look.

All current Avensis trims have follow me home lights.

Business Edition Plus & Excel trims both have cornering lights.

AFS headlights on the Excel swivel the headlight beam (within limits) in conjunction with turning the steering wheel above a certain speed (but can be disabled if you wish).

I was very happy to go back down to 17" alloys with 55 profile tyres from 18" alloys with 45 profile tyres.

I really wanted a Business Edition Plus Touring Sport but finding a pre-reg petrol tourer in that is really hens teeth ....  was lucky & managed to find 5 pre-reg petrol   (diesels are a lot easier to find) Business Edition Touring Sports  - 3 months old, 27 miles on the clock for mine & £8k off the list price ... They all sold in ~3 days.

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As regards GAP insurance, TOC members can get a small discount on GAP insurance through ALA - 

Got mine thr' ALA very helpful on the phone and did a price match (plus additional discount) off other websites' prices. 

Was very impressed but experience if I actually have to claim will be more important!  A review of the buying experience says not a lot!

1 hour ago, Heidfirst said:

It's not the most intuitive website but pretty much all the information is there if you look.

All current Avensis trims have follow me home lights.

Business Edition Plus & Excel trims both have cornering lights.

AFS headlights on the Excel swivel the headlight beam (within limits) in conjunction with turning the steering wheel above a certain speed (but can be disabled if you wish).

I was very happy to go back down to 17" alloys with 55 profile tyres from 18" alloys with 45 profile tyres.

I really wanted a Business Edition Plus Touring Sport but finding a pre-reg petrol tourer in that is really hens teeth ....  was lucky & managed to find 5 pre-reg petrol   (diesels are a lot easier to find) Business Edition Touring Sports  - 3 months old, 27 miles on the clock for mine & £8k off the list price ... They all sold in ~3 days.

You did well to find a pre reg, I looked for ages!!! 

My new one was a little (but not excessively) more expensive.  Ordered in May and delivered in late July (they needed sales apparently post the car tax change rush when sales were subsequently slow).  

That is good you have distilled some of this stuff down for me thanks.

Regarding wheel sizes I am a bit stunned to see that on the higher spec models there is only the choice of 17" alloys or even 18" alloys. It is not listed as an option having say 16" alloys. As I am looking for maximum comfort I need top look into this and I did not anticipate a problem getting someone to receive 17" alloy wheels as a swap for 16" alloy wheels. 

There is a thread running by ChrisJohn in the Auris forum regarding the same issue of alloy wheel sizes which I am followiung with interest although I will do some digging myself.

28 minutes ago, Willss said:

You did well to find a pre reg, I looked for ages!!! 

I was very lucky & kind of stumbled across them, I wasn't really intending to buy this year but I knew that I couldn't count on the same opportunity next year which is when I originally was planning to change.

2 of the colours I didn't like, 1 was a slightly brighter version of what I was driving & there were 2 white ones - I spent the money saved on metallic/pearlescent on accessories & up-spec'ing (protection pack, parking sensors & I had the rear of the car tinted same as Bus Ed Plus or Excel).

12 minutes ago, sproutdreamer said:

Regarding wheel sizes I am a bit stunned to see that on the higher spec models there is only the choice of 17" alloys or even 18" alloys. It is not listed as an option having say 16" alloys. As I am looking for maximum comfort I need top look into this and I did not anticipate a problem getting someone to receive 17" alloy wheels as a swap for 16" alloy wheels. 

You don't want the 18"/45 profiles then but if you want an Excel for the AFS headlights that's what you get as standard. If you can give up the AFS you can get a Business Edition Plus which will have LED headlights, cornering (fog) lights & 17" alloys.

The 17"/55 s are fine although the 16" with an even higher profile should be softer again.  Needless to say if you change the wheel/tyre combo from how it came ex-factory you need to tell your insurer. 

Hi,

Just to let you know that we offer a product called Total Loss Protection. Whilst it's not exactly the same as your traditional GAP insurance we feel for some customers it can make a cost effective alternative.

Please feel free to take a look if you wish.

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/extras/total-loss/

Regards,

Daniel.

This may be obvious to most readers, but make sure the rims fit over your brakes before you pay for them. Even on my old '01 Avensis D4 there is barely any room between the front calipers and the original 15" rims, and some of the most recent Avensis models have brakes that are around 2" larger than the ones on my car. 16" inch wheels may be too small to fit over the brakes of the most powerful recent Avensis models.

32 minutes ago, perdaniel said:

This may be obvious to most readers, but make sure the rims fit over your brakes before you pay for them. Even on my old '01 Avensis D4 there is barely any room between the front calipers and the original 15" rims, and some of the most recent Avensis models have brakes that are around 2" larger than the ones on my car. 16" inch wheels may be too small to fit over the brakes of the most powerful recent Avensis models.

On the 2.2 T27 16" alloys will not fit over the front brakes.

19 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

On the 2.2 T27 16" alloys will not fit over the front brakes.

I spoke with my brother (who was a Toyota mechanic) yesterday, he said that steel wheels might fit even if alloy wheels of the same size didn't fit.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links