Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil problem

Marne

OK everyone help a guy out I have a 2000 gen7 vvti 140 celica and when I start and drive the car all is fine but soon as it gets up to temp I can hear a tapping sound from engine but this one when engine is warm I'm running 5w 40 oil fully sim what have I done wrong is the oik to thick when warm or to thin that's it's coursing problems I'm on 100k on clock 

Is the engine using any oil?, and has the oil level ever been allowed to drop well below the MIN mark on the dipstick?. Toyota announced a revised dipstick giving a little extra capacity a few years ago.

Sorry to say, but it could be the start of the "death rattle", due to a design fault with the early 1ZZ FE engines. There are insufficient oil runways in the piston ring area, causing a build-up of burnt carbon deposits on the rings themselves.

In short, 17 years isn't bad going for this particular engine.

Though not the recommended viscosity, 5W40 isn't the cause of the tapping when warm.

I was starting to think it was bottom end but if it is just something like rings and pistons I have no worries about changing them I just know when the bottom end gose it's dead and cheaper to buy a replacement engine lol 

• 1 month later...

My 190 did the same, then I found the oil level was off the dip stick, filled it up and the tapping went away. I have an oil leak. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links