Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How many miles on rear brake pads

Joregan75

Hi All 

I have a 2009 Avensis t27 TR , for the past few days my back right wheel is making a grinding noise like the pad had gone , I have Ferodo pads on it and the have 21000 miles ( 33700 km ) . I only hear the noise when I move off in the car but when driving for a while the noise goes .

As for driving style ,I do on average of 60 miles per day on country roads , and it's not driven hard .

My question is , is it normal for the pads to be worn out at around 21000 miles ? 

I'm attaching the best photo I could get of the pad without removing them from the car .  Do they look worn out or are the ok looking ? 

Thanks 

20171007_212545.jpg

Hi Joregan,
I have 70k on my rear pads and they are still going strong, so I'd say that's not normal. Wearing out on one side is indicative of binding, so before simply replacing pads I'd suggest looking for the source.

Thanks Duggerz, looking at the photo how do you think the pad looks ? Also what do you mean by binding ?

Thanks 

I can't tell from the photo sorry. Binding is when the pad is contacting the disc all the time and results in premature wearing out of the pads on that wheel. Can be caused but handbrake issue, caliper issue sticking for example. Really both sides need servicing to be sure they are free and pads replaced at the same time if they are indeed worn.

2 hours ago, Duggerz said:

Hi Joregan,
I have 70k on my rear pads and they are still going strong, so I'd say that's not normal. Wearing out on one side is indicative of binding, so before simply replacing pads I'd suggest looking for the source.

The T27 is heavier on rear pads than the T25 due to the EPB - especially so if you use the auto release rather than manually doing it.

One of the factors in my changing cars recently was that on the last service they told me that it would need new rear discs & pads by it's next service due to pad wear  & lipping discs. That would have been ~40,000 miles life since last change - having said that at least one of my rear calipers had been binding slightly.

Thanks heidfirst, god your a lucky one changing the car rather than doing the disc and pads !! 😉

You might have a point about the EPB , I have a habit of using the auto release alot rather than releasing it manually , maybe that's a habit I should change . 

21000 miles might not be to far out so owing to my driving style and the EPB auto release 

Thanks again 

23 minutes ago, Duggerz said:

I can't tell from the photo sorry. Binding is when the pad is contacting the disc all the time and results in premature wearing out of the pads on that wheel. Can be caused but handbrake issue, caliper issue sticking for example. Really both sides need servicing to be sure they are free and pads replaced at the same time if they are indeed worn.

Thanks , I hope it's not a handbrake issue as I have heard  the EPB can be an expensive fix it it fails to release . I'm just hoping its not the EPB master calender starting to go , and causing the binding you are refering to . 

14 minutes ago, Joregan75 said:

Thanks heidfirst, god your a lucky one changing the car rather than doing the disc and pads !! 😉

I did say one of the factors, there were others ...:tongue:

Binding wouldn't be due to the EPB imo.

I'm not a professional mechanic, but that pad doesn't look worn to me. I can obviously not say anything about the pad on the other side of the disc. I usually hear a grinding noise from my brakes when I drive out of the parking lot in the morning, but I live on the western coast of Norway which makes Britain look like a desert. Have you had more rain than usual the past few days?

23 hours ago, Duggerz said:

Thanks , I hope it's not a handbrake issue as I have heard  the EPB can be an expensive fix it it fails to release . I'm just hoping its not the EPB master calender starting to go , and causing the binding you are refering to . 

Hi all 

Well took car to mechanic , the pads were only half worn  , so he checked the calipers and that's free . So we changed out the pads for a new set of Mintex pads and the noise is gone , . So he said it might be the pads that were on it , they were Ferodo pads , he said they can screech sometimes . BUT SHOULD THEY MAKE  A NOISE THAT BADLY ?? 

Anyway new pads in again after only 21000 miles and gonna see how these go , and if these wear out fast it's definitely time to start investigating the auto handbrake as to see if it's not releasing fully . 

Toyota avensis defo like feeding on brake pads !!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links