Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hello all from the Emerald Isle

showbeastie

Hi all.

After years of wanting one, I bought my 04 Rav4 VVTi Granite 2L 4x4 last month at auction for £1400 all in. It came with full MOT, 107K, new tyres all round and is cosmetically in superb condition. The clutch (which was very stiff) and starter motor (which broke off replacing the clutch) were replaced the other week (total £500). I've already had it on an off-road camping trip (up a very boulder-strewn Mourne Mountains track way). It was amazing fun, I love the thing!

However, I do have a couple of queries I'm hoping you folks can help me with. Please forgive me if these have come up before.

Firstly, the gearshift is notchy. I've been having a mooch about the tinternet and this seems to be a normal thing for a manual Rav. A pal suggested a gearbox additive, but I think its more to do with the actual gear selection mechanism. Could the bushes be worn? The other thing is with the spare wheel. I notice it does not have a hard cover. Is this because the wheels are 17" and a normal Toyota cover won't fit?

Appreciate your thoughts.

IMG_2912.JPG

IMG_2953.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mate, the spare should have a hard plastic cover in two parts . Gearbox are a little notchy especially between first and 2nd , make sure you have the correct oil in there or get it changed if not been done for couple years makes a huge difference. I had my 04 manual for five years and it was brilliant and ultra reliable only replaced one oxygen sensor . Fifth gear can be a problem with gear lever rattling when in fifth and worse case jump out of fifth this can be replaced for around £250 ( fifth gear only ) easy enough to do I had to do mine at 50k and sold it with 105k no more probs. 

The Granite Rav4 did not come with a spare wheel cover as the wheel tyre combo was too big for the wheel cover fitted to other models,  at the time Toyota said they would not make a one off cover only to fit a low quantity special edition.

Many thanks for the replies. Very helpful.

I'll be doing an engine and gearbox oil change tomorrow. 

Just double-checking, 5W-30 for engine, and 75w-90 GL4-5 for gearbox? 

Thanks again.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links