Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is the auris boring?

Adamoram91

I know it's personal preference but I'm thinking of getting rid of my old yaris tsport which has been so reliable which is why I would rather stick with toyota but want something bigger but the auris 2008-9 ish just seem a bit boring?

Impossible question to answer. Depends what one is looking to get from a car, and what is boring to one, isn't boring to another.

Also depends which version one is looking at - SR180, 1.6, 2.0D4D .......

Boringly reliable... 

Does what I want and will pull nicely once you get the revs up. (1.6 SR) 

I'll admit it's not quite as pin sharp and "nippy go kart like" as the new  yaris I had as a courtesy car. 

I have the Auris 2.0 D4-D. I get 60mpg + if i take it steady. However if you do like to go fast its more than capable. The 2.0 seems to use all its power right through the rev range. I have had mine remapped to around 160bhp and im very happy with it. I have driven the 2.2 SR180 yes it is very quick however the economy is not as good as the 2.0 plus the 2.2 has a DPF and I have heard there can be issues with this. If you get a pre 09 2.0 d4d it probably won't have a DPF. It depends what you want from a car. In my opinion its not boring at all, wherever you have read that it will probably be some car reviewer that things that everything VW make is the best thing since sliced bread. Each to there own I say, I've had 5 Toyotas now and loved every single one.

• Like 1

make a list of what you expect from a car then go and have a test drive

check off everything that meets your needs.

As others have said boring is very subjective. 

I have grown to really like mine. Good to drive, comfortable, reliable, economical not exciting but the best car I've owned!

Well, you won't be doing donuts in front of an admiring crowd outside the local Asda, that's for sure. But the 2013 body revision did do a lot to improve the rather inert handling of the previous model. Lower centre of gravity, and the hybrid and petrol models got fully independent multilink rear suspension, which tightened it up noticeably.

Compared with my wife's Golf, my 64 reg 1.6 petrol Touring (Icon Plus trim) scores maybe 10% less for thrills through the bends. And about the same compared with my old VW Passat estate. But the drug-dealer deep tint glass at the back is nice, and the ride's comfortable with the seats providing plenty of support on long journeys. The thing is, I quite often do 500-600 miles in a day while in France, and you get to notice these things. Spins up nicely on the autoroute and doesn't get hassled in the fast lane.

Mostly I like mine for the massive boot and the reliability, though. I bought it 18 months old for only £10.5K (because demand for the 1.6 petrol was thin compared with the hybrid), and 18 months later I haven't ever regretted it. Helluva lot of car for that sort of money. :cool:

if you want something that will go round the bends at break neck speeds then buy another car

if you want something that will get you & the family from A -B in comfort whilst having a quiet ride

good mpg and no road tax then the Auris hybrid fits the bill for you.