Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Petrol low..warning..

Dereklad

Hello my last bar of my petrol guage started flashing yesterday..what i wanted to do is run my  petrol tank as low as possible before i fill up so i can get an idea of cost per tank..what happens when a tank gets really really low,is there a warning sighn or something anyone know please..

78803018-84FC-464A-A281-4A175D64DAED.jpeg

The last bar will flash faster when running on fumes. Would fill up straight after that, as it's a crystal ball on how far you'll get at this stage. My missus tried and failed miserably lol.

• Like 1

The next warning after the flashing bar is the engine will cough, splutter and conk out. There's no other warning after the bar flashing. It does flash flaster when it gets lower, but unless you're paying close attention I think it's hard to notice.

Hi Dereklad,

Just after I got my Aygo, I did the same as you've done and ran the car until it was on fumes as an exercise.  It's a few years ago now and I've never done it since but I remember when the tank got down to "R" (Reserve with one bar on the fuel gauge) there was a high pitched "Beep".  It sounded a good few times, I can't remember how often but I'm guessing every 30 seconds or so.....enough to be annoying, anyway, I chickened out and filled up at the first filling station that  I could find.

I still remember that when I filled it up, I put in a fraction over the 35 litres that the tank is supposed to hold, so I must have been close to the "Cough, splutter and conk out" stage that Mick mentioned.

I've never done this again but I've never really trusted the Aygo fuel gauge....I run the car on the trip meter and fill up every 250-300 miles.

Mine is a 2012 "Fire" but I would guess that the "Beeper" has been on all Aygo model years and so, should be on yours.

Or . . .

you could put a gallon in the boot and run it dry!!!

You're going to have to ignore all the "what an idiot" looks you get as you put the gallon into the tank at the road side, but you will get pretty much a 100% accurate result, (can't get any dryer than empty!)

Thats people for replys..

and yes agent orange i got the dreaded bleeper sound yesterday,i was looking around the cockpit thinking ‘whats that bleeping sound’🤔

I ran my mk2 aygo down to about 14 miles left and she didn't feel very well. At that point the fuel light had been on a while. Wouldn't do that again, I always fill up with 50 miles remaining.

Right mission update..ive been to fillup with unleaded and here are the numbers..whirlwind garage sheldon birmingham..2006 vvti👍

F1C6D327-4AA2-4098-BBEA-ED7BFB9A82A6.jpeg

1680F7F5-5A82-43AE-8E5E-8AF45ECB15F7.jpeg

Seems about right. I put in 40 quid last week, just after the flashing last bar came on.

On my Aygo Mk 1 I ran it low a few times, and it would flash on the reserve, then flash faster after a while.. I never risked going far on the fast flash.

On a side note, I was driving my Mk2 aygo last week with the limiter on 75mph... I hate to admit this but i am so used to looking at the range counter in the mk2, with the limiter on all I saw was 75mph on the dash.. Then all of a sudden I heard a beep and the fuel light came on. this is the first time in driving I have been caught out, but I luckily made it to a garage and fit in exactly 35 litres, with 4 miles left on the range counter.  I think i was close to being on the roadside.:blush:

I personally only saw the blinking gas light and hearing the first beeps a couple of times in the almost 1,5 year I own my 2016 Aygo and wouldn't want to risk my engine for estimating the cost per tank. What would be the point of that? We have a 35L tank which translates to 35L x gas price, so it is something pretty fixed; do I get it wrong?

Instead, I keep track of fuel consumption by recording every single top-up of the tank since I got the car, so I know the fuel consumption per top-up - I am mostly concerned about the mileage per gallon (or lt/100km, as we use here in Greece). I can have a generic overview but I know that this is not precise, as it depends on various factors (e.g. how close to the lid each top up goes, how pure/fresh the gas is, my driving style, traffic level etc.). I see significant variations between summer (when the roads are usually open) and winter (when the first rain drops fall, heavy traffic starts), when taking uphill routes etc.

So basically im thinking ,if its a 35L tank..and i put 34.63 L in..i was dangerousley running on fumes,and thats a bad idea..😱

and i reacon from what i remember,the warning sound comes on with about 1L remaining..

12 hours ago, Dereklad said:

So basically im thinking ,if its a 35L tank..and i put 34.63 L in..i was dangerousley running on fumes,and thats a bad idea..😱

and i reacon from what i remember,the warning sound comes on with about 1L remaining..

Nah, your ok :) i filled up with bang on 35 ltrs :ohmy:.. then again I always fill it right up the neck of the filler hole as I do lots of miles, so maybe was holding a little more than 35 ltrs  :)   I dont ever want to be that close again.

The sound signal appears when we have the coverage to show. There is still about 2-3 liters of petrol in the tank

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links