Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

constant hesitation

toylexus

Hi all, got a 2.0 d4 vvti avensis petrol, Ive a constant slight hesitation, no faults stored, changed plugs. At 3000rpm it feels !Removed! the car has a turbo. Anyone any ideas as to the problem.

Thanks in advance

Turbo in a vvti? Never heard of that.

• Haha 1

I searched around and there are a few possible causes. These are all guesses.

VVTi solenoid and oil control valve, the maf sensor, O2 sensors or worse a blocked catalytic converter. Check the connections. How clean is the throttle body and the does the butterfly valve move freely? The injectors coud be another factor, plus the cam and crank sensor.
A live diagnostics check could show an experienced mechanic/tuner what your engine is doing. 

• Like 1

thanks guys, Frankie that was meant to read feels like a turbo kicking in at 3000rpm, obviously a non turbo car.

Thanks Konrad, i'll check butterfly and see what its like and then get full live diagnostic test. Toyota checked all sensors and give them thumbs up but couldn't comment on hesitation as they seemed baffled but suggested a new throttle body.

• Like 1

As konrad says clean and check all before letting Toyota suggest parts as they like all dealership in house services will keep throwing new parts until they fix it..also do the pcv including hose to throttle. pull Battery term off for a while too.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

All looks ok so  far guys, butterfly free and disconnected Battery, hoses all seem ok too. Got in to start it this morning and wont start. Turning over fast and trying to fire and does a few times but wont stay running. Can smell petrol but cant fine any leaks.. Done this about 7 months ago, then started and was fine since. Anyone any ideas :alien1:

I would go with Frankie406, sort the pcv valve there should be a rattle inside. I used Halfords break cleaner, but it did not clean it well best to use air intake cleaner. 

You might as well take out the whole air intake thing, just 4 nuts and clean it all including icv which is attached to it. Though I did it the easy way but ...

Thanks everyone. Pcv valve has the rattle but cleaned it anyhow. The starting issue is a big problem. Could it be crankshaft sensor

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links