Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis T25 vvt-i wont start

holymacaroni

Hello guys!

Well, this is my first post and my first problem with my Avensis. 

The car wont start, it cranks, new and fully loaded Battery, plugs are new and wet - they are also sparking when i tried them against the metal. 

someone who have any clue - or had the same symptoms and solved it?

Greetings,

Andy from Norway

Have you done any work on the car, or has it suddenly just happened?  

Thank you for the reply. It just suddenly happened.

I was waiting with the engine turned on for my friend, when the engine just stalled. 

On 12.10.2017 at 2:50 AM, alan333 said:

Have you done any work on the car, or has it suddenly just happened?  

Thank you for the reply. It just suddenly happened.

I was waiting with the engine turned on for my friend, when the engine just stalled. 

- new update:

tried to read fault codes - not a single one..! 

Is there there an EFI fuse because this would be the first thing to look at ( and the cheapest. Read the following for the older T22 VVTi - 

When turning the key, does the EML illuminate initially until the engine starts? This could stop the ECU from working - no codes will be stored. Next is crank sensor or cam sensor failure. The worst is the ECU failing - no codes stored! 
I don't have info on the T25 fuses.

On 15.10.2017 at 9:24 PM, Konrad C said:

Is there there an EFI fuse because this would be the first thing to look at ( and the cheapest. Read the following for the older T22 VVTi - 

When turning the key, does the EML illuminate initially until the engine starts? This could stop the ECU from working - no codes will be stored. Next is crank sensor or cam sensor failure. The worst is the ECU failing - no codes stored! 
I don't have info on the T25 fuses.

i will check the EFI fuse tomorrow - would be awesome if that solves the problem. 

The next on my list is actually crank and cam sensor - think i will replace them with new ones. 

thank you for answers - will update you with the problem. 

There's a crude test you can do to find out whether your problem is electric or fuel related: spray some Easy Start into the air intake as the engine is cranked - if the engine runs (albeit badly, and only while being sprayed) your problem is fuel related, if not then the problem is electrics.

Obviously the test isn't foolproof, an electric problem could mean the fuel isn't being pumped etc.

About 2 weeks ago, I had similar problem, but your car does crank. If did not crank it would be a starter motor which does not have dtc errors. Maybe it is a starter motor on the way out?

Hello guys!
Well, this is my first post and my first problem with my Avensis. 
The car wont start, it cranks, new and fully loaded battery, plugs are new and wet - they are also sparking when i tried them against the metal. 
someone who have any clue - or had the same symptoms and solved it?

Greetings,
Andy from Norway

Take a look on the ignition switch if everything else are ruled out.

Mvh Dag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 22.10.2017 at 9:27 AM, m456an said:

About 2 weeks ago, I had similar problem, but your car does crank. If did not crank it would be a starter motor which does not have dtc errors. Maybe it is a starter motor on the way out?

The car is cranking as h...

Still waiting for my parts. Bought them online, the local dealer had e REALLY high price compared online.

On 21.10.2017 at 9:54 AM, alan333 said:

There's a crude test you can do to find out whether your problem is electric or fuel related: spray some Easy Start into the air intake as the engine is cranked - if the engine runs (albeit badly, and only while being sprayed) your problem is fuel related, if not then the problem is electrics.

Obviously the test isn't foolproof, an electric problem could mean the fuel isn't being pumped etc.

i will try this after the parts are replaced. already bought them - so they should be here soon. Had a similar problem with my vectra b, symptoms were the same. After a replace of the sensors the car was fully working again. 

On 22.10.2017 at 2:26 PM, daoestig said:

Take a look on the ignition switch if everything else are ruled out.

Mvh Dag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the tip. What symptoms should i look for? 

21 hours ago, holymacaroni said:

The car is cranking as h...

Still waiting for my parts. Bought them online, the local dealer had e REALLY high price compared online.

You say the car is cranking as h..... Do you mean lika alot faster then usual as in no compression in engine?

8 hours ago, Bempa said:

You say the car is cranking as h..... Do you mean lika alot faster then usual as in no compression in engine?

no, not that fast. It is cranking as usual - haha. 

13 hours ago, holymacaroni said:

no, not that fast. It is cranking as usual - haha. 

Haha ok good. 

Does the tachometer move when you crank? If doesnt that could be indicating cranksensor. Or if you have access to read data from ECU when cranking you could reed the rpm´s while cranking

• Haha 1

Ok tricky one, there could be some problem with that the car got flooded whil trying to start it. Have you tried to take the plugs out and used compresserd air to blow out the gas and then let it sit over night with no plugs in it. 

I´m just grasping for hairs at the moment but there is no cost involved in trying that 

Try this!

Remove the MAF sensor plug from the sensor, the sensor itself can stay in its place. Try to start the engine for at least five times.

Bad or no readings from the sensor doesn't let the engine run. By disconnecting the sensor, car uses pre-installed stock readings.

If it does turn out to be the MAF sensor, you could try cleaning it before replacing. It's pretty easy as shown on this website.

www.mafcleaning.co.uk

I noticed that Toyota dealers clean the sensor as part of the 'Full Service', so these things must get dirty eventually.

Torque Pro does give maf sensor reading during driving, just push the throttle if it increases air flow it is working. But no need to rev past 3000.

I also got the long term fuel trim level during driving.

But it is all useless if you cannot start the car....

• Like 1