Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Preventative Maintenance - Auris T Spirit 5dr 1.8 VVT-i Hybrid

Kojac

Hi all,

Here she is:

Toyota.PNG.9edf7e7a03df0ce87f1a26976fe2d02c.PNG

Currently on 44,610 k Miles.

I'm asking for guidance and help on the following:

Every car seems to particular quirks / defects that are common to that range - that start to make themselves apparent over time.

I'm asking for guidance on preventative maintenance suggestions (aside from the obvious servicing).

Are there particular issues that tend to come up with these models - engine problems or otherwise - that if addressed early - you can 'head them off at the pass'?

My warmest thanks to any willing to contribute to this discussion.

kojac.

Hi,

This link to Priuschat refers to a manifold design problem that can lead to head gasket failures on a Gen3 Prius (same engine) at high mileages.

In the thread, when they are talking about octane ratings of fuel, the US use a different scale with lower numbers, don't be misled.

It is a very long thread, you could jump in about page 42.

The cure is a simple catch tank installed between the crankcase vent pipe and the inlet manifold it connects to (via a rubber hose).

Some owners have made a DIY catch tank, but they aren't expensive anyway, and are even available from Amazon.

https://priuschat.com/threads/new-service-bulletin-for-engine-knocking-at-startup-t-sb-0012-10.102200/

Also, the dust shields on the brakes rust rapidly and cost heaps.  You could paint them before they rust away.

Some Priuschat posters change the transmission oil (about £30 for 3 litres of Toyota  ATF - WS). There is no service interval for this; at very high mileages  (160,000?) the transmissions can start to whine a bit, and this would probably help stop that happening.

HTH

• Like 2

This is exactly the kind of information I am looking for.

Problems in design or defects in the series - that will 'rear their head' in time.

Things that if dealt with early - will prevent excessive costs to repair down the road. 

Is there an official recall - or a replacement option through Toyota for the catch-tank issue?

A few drivers in the US were noticing a brief engine 'knock' (detonation, pinking) when starting their Prius 3s from cold.

Toyota US eventually listed a technical service bulletin (TSB) for this, but it didn't really work.

Eventually, it was figured out (by the owners) that engine oil in the crankcase breather fumes was settling under the throttle plate in a shallow dip in the inlet manifold. When the engine was started, this oil was drawn into the cylinders where it increased the effective compression ratio, this caused the engine to 'knock' until no more of that oil was drawn in.

The additional stress of the engine knocking is thought by many to be the cause of some low-ish mileage (150,000m) head gasket failures.

The catch tank is not a Toyota fix, but it stops oil dropping out of the crankcase vapours and pooling in the inlet manifold. It just needs emptying every several thousand miles.  It pobably helps the EGR valve from eventually clogging up as well.  This will only become a potential problem once the car has *much* higher mileage, say, 140,000m. 

At least, that is what I think the thread said; I read it a while ago.

Back to your original question, but not quite what you were asking:

Fit a mesh guard to the lower radiator grille to stop stone chip damage to the aircon rad.

Consider getting an ELM327 compatible wifi  dongle for the OBD2 port (£10) so you can run 'Hybrid Assistant' app on your phone, then you can see engine revs, Battery charge/temp., coolant temperature, inverter temperature and so on - things that don't show on the dash.

Become familiar with the 'special' connection in the fuse box (engine bay), that is there for jump-starting the car if the 12v Battery goes flat.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Lights have been left on before - and the Battery went flat.

Had to call out RAC to provide a jump start.

What is the best solution for an ordinary to purchase - so I can do it myself if needed?

I have never bought a jump-start Battery pack and I have no personal experience of this one:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suaoki-Starter-Battery-Leads-Flashlight/dp/B06XXC686N/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1512328924&sr=8-9&keywords=lithium+jump+start#Ask

But, on the good side, it is cheap and small.  Almost any size (i.e. small) of starter pack will be enough to power up the Auris computer in an emergency as the load is low.

Because it has a torch and a USB port you have more reason to use it for other purposes, which means you will be more likely aware of its charge state and remember to charge it!

Although it does not state as much, this must be a Li-ion Battery, which is not damaged if you flatten it; in the past some cheap packs used lead/acid batteries inside which would be ruined if you allowed them to go flat and left them in that state.

If you can find a smaller, cheaper one that is li-ion and well reviewed, then go for that.

HTH

• 2 years later...

Update: Take a look at the pic in the first post. Thats the car being discussed.

Friends - it's been a while - I was quite unwell.

She's now at 58,000 miles.

What further tips for preventative maintainence have come to light? There are many members that have these cars - and I'm asking the forum to share their experiences and wisdom on this.

She's now due her 10 yr recommended service.

At this point - what additional preventative maintainence aspects need looking at? If she's going in for the service - what should I be nudging the Toyota mechanics to examine/evaluate thats not included in that service.

This thread is meant to be an exploration of the topic. To open up discussion.

It's good to be back!

Hi, most important maintenance of these cars at that age is to clean the egr cooler, intake manifold and throttle body, change of pcv valve and full check of the exhaust pipes and heat shielding around them for mounting points if broken or mounting brackets broken too due to the rust. Rear brake lights needs to be taken out of the car and everything around to be cleaned properly, new seals or silicone prior to mounting the lights back to stop any water entering the boot area, this is ultra important. Next is to open the hybrid Battery cover and clean the air duct and cooling fan. There are videos on YouTube for all these procedures. If the garage forget to change the coolant in both engine and inverter converter you have to change them and you may also change the gearbox oil. 
That’s all as preventative maintenance.  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links