Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris 1.6 Petrol Vs 1.4 D-4D (2010-2012 Facelift)

mecheng46

I had a look on the forum and I couldn't find something relevant to my question.

I have been looking to buy a diesel 1.4 Auris (2010, facelift, pre-dpf version, 6 speed) for a while and now that I found the right car for me i have my doubts. I am now considering buying the 1.6 Petrol version (same spec, 2010-2012 facelift, 1.6 petrol manual) and I would like to know how the two engines are compared.

I understand both engines are reliable so I am at the mpg, tax, common issues, performance etc

Thanks

what is your doubt about the 1.4 diesel????

The official fuel consumption figures are:

1.4D4D: combined 58.9; urban 49.6; extra urban 65.7

1.6 Valvematic: combined 42.8; urban 32.8; extra urban 51.4

Also look at Honest John's Real MPG pages for the Auris to get an indication of what the real world mpg is likely to be.

VED: 1.4D4D Band D: 1.6 Valvematic Band G.

Performance:

1.4D4D - top speed 109mph and 0-60 in 11.9 seconds

1.6 Valvematic - top speed 121mph, 0-60 in 10 seconds.

2 hours ago, Catlover said:

what is your doubt about the 1.4 diesel????

Nothing wrong with the diesel engine to be honest. I am more than happy from the same engine on my Yaris thus why i wanted the 1.4 d4d auris (bit more space). Saying this, I am hearing lots of things about diesels on the news and I am not sure what the future is for them diesels.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The official fuel consumption figures are:

1.4D4D: combined 58.9; urban 49.6; extra urban 65.7

1.6 Valvematic: combined 42.8; urban 32.8; extra urban 51.4

Also look at Honest John's Real MPG pages for the Auris to get an indication of what the real world mpg is likely to be.

VED: 1.4D4D Band D: 1.6 Valvematic Band G.

Performance:

1.4D4D - top speed 109mph and 0-60 in 11.9 seconds

1.6 Valvematic - top speed 121mph, 0-60 in 10 seconds.

From your post yeah it looks like is a no brainer to go with the petrol version. For some reason I had in my head that the petrol mpg were very similar to the diesel engine. 

Anything else I should consider comparing them two engines? 

Of the 2 I would favour the 1..4 diesel.  So why do you say its a no brainer to go for the petrol????

It depends on one's viewpoint as to whether the diesel is a no brainer. 

From an economy point of view the diesel is better. From a performance point of view it is the petrol.

A diesel without a dpf is likely to be Euro IV, which may or may not be able to access future Clean Air Zones, etc. The 1.6 Valvematic is Euro V.

The VED is currently as stated. However, the government are looking at VED changes for diesels, and, if these are introduced, will be announced in the November budget. 

14 hours ago, Catlover said:

Of the 2 I would favour the 1..4 diesel.  So why do you say its a no brainer to go for the petrol????

I cannot really see any advantages of the petrol engine compared to the diesel one. The only advantage is that the petrol engine has more power and less torque however I am not buying an Auris for its performance. 

Two advantages that the 1.6 petrol engine has. First, it's simple - there are no £1,000 boxes of electronic trouble waiting to ambush you when it gets middle-aged, and no £1500 turbo to fail, and no high-pressure fuel pump (that'll be another £750, sir).

And secondly, there are no plans to charge petrol cars an additional tenner a day to drive into places like Bristol or Cambridge or Birmingham or a couple of dozen other cities. That was what clinched it for me, and why I switched away from diesel. My 1.6 petrol estate has far more power than my old Passat, and is faster in every way, even though it has less low-down grunt. I just have to rev it a bit higher when taking off. :rolleyes: MPG on the 1.6 ranges from 37 around town to 45-47 on a straight motorway thrash. It works for me!

• Like 1

In this climate the 1.6 may be the way to go, although it will be more expensive in terms of fuel, tax and possibly insurance.

I'm still having a hard time finding a car to change to from my Yaris D4D if they force me to get rid of it. Literally every modern car in this class is somehow worse - Almost all bigger but with less storage and power, and cost far more to buy and insure for what little gains they do have. And what is the hate with sunroofs? Hardly any small cars have them now!

I'd most likely side-change to a Mk1 1.3... or maybe even a T-Sport :naughty: (If they want more CO2 I can !Removed! well give it to them!)

10 minutes ago, Cyker said:

In this climate the 1.6 may be the way to go, although it will be more expensive in terms of fuel, tax and possibly insurance.

Depending what changes the Government are looking to introduce as regards VED for diesel cars, VED for petrol may not be more expensive than for diesel. Should know in next month's budget.

I really hope that doesn't become a thing; For the diesel's tax to be more than there 1.6's they would have to add a ridiculously and unfairly large tax hike across the board!

Hi,

If do need any help with insurance at all for any vehicle you're looking at then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.