Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Weird rattle

Ben93

Not got an issue with the car as such and goes like stink and sounds healthy through gears but was listening to it in neutral sounds like a normal diesel but if you rev it a little in neutral as it comes back down close to idle revs it sounds like w rattle sound sort of like a pull start on a petrol lawn mower when you have to yank it and it sorts chugs   Not sure if its just normal to do that if you rev in neutral and then quickly let the revs drop back down but as it gets back down it sort of makes that noise.  No unsusual noise when revving up or driving so assuming its just ut judderering as it slows the revs. 

Think its the air box rattling its coming from the passenger side where airbox is. When its idling if you put ear to it can hear it vibrstung slightly and if you touch the box it stops not managed to get a second person to hold box still when revving to definetely check but it definetelt sounds from that location and idling can hear a tone difference when box is pushed down.  Might change the air filter and tighten all the box up the Battery strap seems to be resting on the box so maybe when you let off the throttle the difference in air intake is making it vibrate.  Suppose its not doing any harm.  

A known problem is that a baffle or similar inside the plastic inlet manifold can become loose and flap around, so it could be that ..?

If you search this forum you will find some old threads relating to it and how to use some screws to cure  it,  though not something I have had a problem with.

Suppose if I just leave it it won't cause any issues apart from the noise? It's not that bad anyway and I think it's the actual airbox that's vibrating on stuff. Not really causing much bother. 

If I leave it it won't cause any damage will it other than it rattling a little

Just listening to a video of the sound mine doesn't sound like that so don't think it's the intake it says it affected the vvti engines not d4d ones. I read another page that said on the d4d airbox there's a hose under neath that can vibrate and you can wrap some soft tape around where the hose goes on and out hose back on and it will stop the vibration so will give that a try as airbox is easy to get out. Makes sense why the quiet vibrating went when I pushed on airbox too. If it was the inlet manifold that wouldn't work and it's coming from Battery and air box area not the inlet.