Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5th gear synch replacement - how to know how many teeth?

padraig1066

Hi folks!

New to the site, but I've been a Toyota owner for 30 years.  My 5th gear synch is out and I need to replace it.  I have no trouble doing the work myself, but it just dawned on me that there are different numbers of teeth depending on type of gearbox and/or model year.  :O  How do I tell what part to order?

Thanks in advance for any advice. :) 

padraig

Best way is to drop kingo a message on here as he works for Toyota parts dept, he should be able to let you know what parts you need . I done mine a few years back took me under 3 hours start to finish easy enough to do . There is a great guide with great pictures on here somewhere really helpful. I had to buy a harmonic puller about £8 and a fine threaded bolt to push gear assembly back into place.

if I can find the guide will post it up on here again.

The following guide may be of some help - 

Guys, thanks SO much for the suggestions and links!  This is great.  The guides from the others who've done this are invaluable, and I'll message kingo to see if I can get the part numbers before I order.  

Really appreciate the advice and suggestions!

pat

No probs , I just followed the pictures and assembled my 5th gear on the kitchen table and took three hours to do. Sealed the end cover back on and left overnight then filled with oil next day. I got all my parts from Japan through Amayama , got part numbers from kingo, worked out cheaper but he may be cheaper now exchange rates not so good.

all best .