Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 MPG

CCCGG

Hi,

I am new to the forum and have a quick question. 

Just wondering what people are getting MPG - from a few websites that allow owners to submit their MPG readings I have a feeling I might be getting a good bit less than expected.

RAV4 - 2 litre Diesel engine AWD is reckoned to achieve 46/47 average MPG? Any achieving that out there?? 2WD achieves the same, surely this can't be accurate? 

Many thanks!

LOL... those figures were tested under the Volkswagon MOT Diesel Emissions data catagory, where you input what ever figure you think looks good.  At a guess I would say those figures are about 10mpg too optimistic for real road use running.  I am sure others can come up with alternative numbers for your delight...

Thanks for getting back to me, I have placed a link below, the Honest John website. Most users seem to be getting around 46 average but I don't get near that. I understand that 'official' figures can be somewhat higher.

Anyone else out there with MPG readings below expectation? 

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/rav4-2013 

Paul,

You need to be very clear about which engine you actually have - the HJ figures are rather confused as they don't distinguish between the different 2.0D engines that have been used in the current model RAV4.

According to Auto Express, for 2014 Toyota introduced AWD with the old 122 bhp 2.0 D4D engine claiming 53.3 mpg combined (6 speed manual gearbox). Prior to that there was only a front wheel drive option.

Toyota have no discontinued the D4D engine altogether in favour of a BMW sourced / derived 143 bhp engine. This is currently available in FWD with a 6 speed manual gearbox only. Toyota now claim 60.1 mpg combined.

What you actually get by way of fuel consumption figures will depend very much on what type of journeys you undertake, how you drive and how you measure consumption - brim-to-brim measurement being the only reliable method.

So, what do you actually have by way of engine and transmission? What sort of journeys do you undertake? How do you measure fuel consumption? And what figure do you actually get?

Hi,

Sorry, after I initially posted I realised that I was a bit brief on the description....It is 2014 4WD 122bhp (manual) - not too many of them about.  We went for this model due to the fact that the mpg seemed half decent compared to the 2.2.  Is the 2.2 a better engine?  I have never owned a Toyota previously. 

Urban we get around 34mpg, extra urban around 40.  Combined comes in at around 38.  I will admit, my 'mpg info keeping' isn't spectacular......

It would be my wife driving the car in urban areas and myself driving it extra urban - we have it as a dual purpose car, she likes the looks and I like the 4X4 element of it for parking up in fields etc.  We wouldn't be 'hard' drivers and to be honest, there isn't much 'go' in the car anyway...

Hope that has helped explain a little more..... I having been trying to speak with someone who has the same model but most have the 2WD so it's not comparable.

Thanks

TBH I do think that the 2.2 engine is probably the better suited to the RAV4 - from mine, a 2.2 D-CAT AWD Auto, I've achieved 38 mpg over 45,000 miles. This is around 90% of the official combined figure and was achieved through a majority of longer "extra-urban" style motoring at reasonable (motorway) speeds. I am relatively happy with that.

Depending on your journey profile, and with a reasonable focus on driving economically, I think that you should be able to achieve somewhere between 80% and 90% of the official figures - never better because of the way the official figures are measured on a rolling road. Your current figures come in a little below "reasonable expectation" which is disappointing (but not wildly below). More fastidious record keeping may be the next step ... ?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links