Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Sluggish at Top End

Cobblers

Hi All,

I've been lurking here for a while, usually whenever an issue arises so 'Hi'.

I've just taken over my wifes 2010 Yaris 1.33 VVT-i  Petrol (43k on the clock) and find that although it accelerates nippily through the gears whenever I'm on a motorway or dual carriageway hitting 70, as soon as I meet an incline, not necessarily a steep one, it loses power and drops to around 60.

Any ideas why it's so sluggish at the top end?

I've had a couple of Yaris', both deisel 1.4d's and have never known an issue like this. It reminds me of riding Vespas and  Lambrettas up and down the UK in the 80's.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Steve

Which gear were you in? If 6th, it is normal - not enough power. Change down

Yeh it was 6th, it's happening on most inclines though not just steep hills. It's a pretty dramatic drop.

Maybe I've been used to the 1.4D power for too long? 

Thanks for the reply though!

Yeah changing down is the answer, nothing wrong with the car :)

The car just hasn't got enough torque, give it a few more revs, these engines are nice little revvy things!

Diesels deliver maximum torque around 2-2500 rpm (approx), Petrols 3,500-5,000 rpm. So a diesel can pull a car using a higher gear at lower revs as it has more torque  (pull) at lower engine speeds. With petrols, you need to keep the revs up..

Yeah, the VVTi's have waaaay less torque than the D4D's so it'll probably have trouble going up inclines in 6th for instance. The 6th gear in the newer yarisussesis, even the D4D, are kinda pointless and only really work as a cruising gear as it's well out of the powerband at any legal speed. IIRC someone worked out you'd need to be doing at least 90mph to not strain the engine in 6th! :eek:

On top of it, these are japanese petrol engines - they won't get out of bed until at least 3000 rpm! :laugh: Don't be afraid to rev them up; They're built to be revved to the moon :naughty:

I really do miss how diesel engines just *haul* when I'm driving a petrol so I feel your pain - When I had a courtesy C1 I started just driving it the way I drove my D4D and kept stalling it :laugh:. I quickly found that 3-pot works better (And smoother!) the higher you rev it so just did what I did in my D4D but 1500rpm higher :naughty:

Ah cheers folks, I just need to give it some welly then, thanks! I'm driving home in an hour and looking forward to it now.

On another note, I noticed the Aircon wasn't working so checked the fusebox and all fuses relating to ac were missing. I'm guessing from that that the aircon was buggered when my Wife bought it and the fuses taken out to remove any excessive noise? There are some proper sharks out there!

And finally....honest.....Has anyone every replaced the engine air filter with a K&N job?

A K&N filter gives the illusion of more power enhanced by the placebo effect of paying a lot for it...:laugh:

• Haha 2

It's probably the most popular 'mod' that I see people doing, although I think the general consensus here is that it doesn't do much. Maybe a tiny airflow improvement with slightly worse air filtration and a slight risk of MAF sensor contamination from the oil. (Less so brand new ones, but higher where people have cleaned and re-oiled the K&N filter)

If you had a turbo it'd make that sound more prominent! :naughty:

Thanks again re-filter. I need to replace both that and the pollen filter which had numerous insects embedded. I'll choose wisely not expensively :wink:

Well the drive home was different, I'll put my initial lack of knowledge down to user error and sheer petrol driven noobness. As soon as I dropped the d4-d mentality the response was much better with a lot of fun thrown in. I like it!

Thanks again!

• Like 1

You too!?!?! :eek:  When I bought my Yaris the pollen filter was full of dead wasps! What is it with Yaris pollen filters and insects!?

Glad you're having more fun and finding the car nicer to drive, just watch those mpgs! (Oh but it is fun to run those VVTi's up to the second valve-timing :naughty: )