Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RAV4 II, 2.0 D4D 2005 persistent EGR trouble

HAF

Hi
First of all, sorry if there are gramma and spelling mistakes.. I'm not a native speeker.
I'm writing due to a problem/error code I can't get rid off.
On my 2005 Rav4 II 2.0 D4D I'm getting this P0400 EGR error... my mechanic can't find the problem.
So far I have tried the following: replacing MAF, EGR valve and turbo.
The mechanic have tested with 3 different diagnose programs (1 was original Toyota), checked the wires and connetions... and the error just keeps comming back.
If I reset the error in the ECU, it comes back after 5-10 km of driving.
So... any ideas on where I should start to look

Br
Jes 

Did you change the scv valves , they bring up that error code as well, 

Hi

Thanks for the replys... it's much appreciated  :rolleyes:

I'll just update all of you that has been reading my post.... it seems that the P0400 issue has been solved, I have just picked up the old wreck today, driven a little 380 km trip, and the engine light has not turned on, and there are no current or pending errors in the ECU... so happy days so far :biggrin: The car runs better, and is more responsive at low RPMs. 

Had the car back at the mechanic, and the poor guy is now bald after pulling all his hair off in frustration.

Anyway.. he went through all the electronics once more, he also borrowed a RAV4 like mine from a friend, where he dismounted parts and checked them on mine.

Complete intake side, complete exhaust side, EGR, MAF, ECU but same same.... BUT then he found out (don't know if he got some oxygen to his head, or the brain cooled down now he is bald) that the problem was caused due to carbon build-up in the channel in the cylinder head, between the EGR valve and intake manifold... cleaned it out... and job done!!!!

The next little issue I have to look at, is during acceleration the car behaves a little like the turbo is overboosting, but I find that hard to be the case, now the turbo only has driven 3000 km, the fuel filter the same.... my first approach will be a Liqui Moly cure.. one of those with the machine... with a little luck it should clean the SCVs. if that's not enough I'll give it a "mechanic on a spray can" air intake cleaner of some kind and hope for the best.

Hope I don't have to take it to the mechanic for some time now, it has cost me a minor fortune this year.

Okay.... think that's all for this time... have a great weekend guys.

Jes    

Edited by HAF
missed some text

On 11/11/2017 at 4:27 PM, atkiman said:

Did you change the scv valves , they bring up that error code as well, 

That's what it was with our 55 plate!

I haven't changed the SCVs, now the problem got fixed by cleaning out the carbon build ups in the cylinder head.

But the engine has a ticking noise when it's under load, and I have SCV's in thoughts.. so I have ordered a Danish produced product called Bell-Add system cleaner one shot.. I's like Liqui Moly Diesel Purge.... and I hope that it will clean the SCVs and injectors, so I can reduce the ticking noise... will give it a new fuel filter too, cause this stuff has to go in the fuel tank, when it's almost empty, then a 40-50 km.drive with the stuff... and I have no clue how much s... is in the bottom of the fuel tank.

Should get the stuff in the middle of next week, so I will try it out the following weekend.... I'll give you guys a heads up afterwards.

If it won't work, I'll probably try to clean the SCVs like in this youtube video: 

Jes

• 3 weeks later...

29/11-2017 Update

Have given it the system cleaner I mentioned in last post, with no improvements,... also did a Liqui Moly diesel purge cure... filling up a new fuel filter with the stuff.. letting the car run for a min..... then letting it soak in overnight, and then a good drive..... same same.

Took out the SCVs and cleaned them like in the video, but just not with a timing on/off relay... just applying power like 500 times.. soaking and then power again..... the SCVs were working fine before the cure, and just a little bit of dirt came out...... and they are for sure not the reason of the ticking noise that I have.

Next step will be a diesel service workshop, that can test the injectors under load, and I'm afraid that I have at least one faulty injector.... (good bye x-mas gifts)

Will keep you posted

Jes  

• 1 month later...

29/1-2018 UPDATE

Hi again, and sorry that I didn’t update before now.

Well haven’t got rid of the ticking noise yet, and I’m on the edge of giving up, and let the stupid thing run until it explodes.

Any way…. I had a workshop test the injectors, and they were all bad and not delivering what they should, so had them refurbished… that didn’t help on the ticking, but now the car can at least do 5000 rpm, and not only 4500 rpm as before.

The car drives okay, and it’s not lacking power at all… but this ticking thing is driving me crazy… so send the car back to the workshop to have the following checked…. EGR cooler pipe: clean. Valve lifters: okay. Oil pressure: okay…. The workshop is out of ideas.. :wacko:

Gave it a Liqui Moly Hydraulic valve lifter noise remover cure today… same, same..

The last thing before I give up will be another engine flush and oil change… then I’ll change the 5W40 oil to a 10W30 hope that the little thicker oil will do the trick… :blink:

So all you smart people….. any other good ideas??

Just a little picture of the injectors before restoring

Have a great one... :-)

Jes 

IMG_20171202_1251382.jpg

Edited by HAF
wording

5 minutes ago, HAF said:

but now the car can at least do 5000 rpm, and not only 4500 rpm as before.

why? there is no point in running a turbo-diesel at 5000rpm ...

#Heidfirst: I never run it so high... it was just a testrun to see if anything had changed after the injectors was refurbished..... and as I wrote, the car isn't lacking power now

Jes