Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

No boot latch on Corolla?

billbones

Hi guys, wonder if anybody can help me with an old Corolla I've recently bought. It's a 2001 GS model and has remote central locking, the key only has two buttons, one to lock and one to unlock. The boot however locks separately, the remote locking doesn't do anything to it, to unlock it you have to physically put the key in the lock on the back of the car, and it locks automatically when you close it.

What I'm surprised at is that there doesn't seem to be any other way to unlock the boot, no latch accessible from the drivers seat like there is for the fuel cap. My question is, am I missing it? I've had a look online and later models have a latch for the boot right next to the fuel cap latch, but mine doesn't. I've looked all over the inside of the car and can't seem to find another latch. It''s really annoying when I'm picking the missus up from the train station  for example, she can't just open the boot and throw her bag in, I have to stop the engine, get out of the car and walk around to the back of it to open the boot for her. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but annoying when you're trying to get out of a busy pick up point. Seems strange Toyota would have designed it without an easier way to open it!

Cheers for any advice or help anybody can offer!

I think there is a lever inside , I had a corolla like that years ago and I am sure there was a lever for the boot.

Moved to the Corolla club.

Could be right about the lever inside. Check near your right foot next to the seat buddy 

On my Corolla there is a latch on the right hand side of the drivers seat on the floor. It is next to the fuel cap release. It could be that yours is broken off though, as I sometimes step on it when getting in to the car and they’re not the most robust of things.

Thanks for your help guys. I can't see anything near the fuel latch that looks like it's broken off. Although maybe there did used to be a boot latch next to it? Does anybody know what this little clip is that sticks through the gap in the mat? I don't think it's meant to be a boot latch as it doesn't really connect to anything. But then it must be designed to be accessible otherwise why is there a gap in the mat for it to stick through? 

IMG_20171101_105851289.jpg

IMG_20171101_132518894.jpg

IMG_20171101_133402804.jpg

IMG_20171101_133350940.jpg

I think it's broken off, if you look at the second to last photo you can see to the right of the fuel latch there's part of an arm in there. That's where your boot latch should be, and it's generally longer than the fuel cap. I don't have my car with me to take a photo of mine to show you what it should be like. 

That clip looks like a replacement for the "nipple" type thing that holds the car mat in place. 

8 hours ago, mickburkesnr said:

I think it's broken off, if you look at the second to last photo you can see to the right of the fuel latch there's part of an arm in there. That's where your boot latch should be, and it's generally longer than the fuel cap. I don't have my car with me to take a photo of mine to show you what it should be like. 

That clip looks like a replacement for the "nipple" type thing that holds the car mat in place. 

I think you're right, thanks for your help buddy. Going to have a play around with it and see if there's any way it can be repaired! 

No problem. You'll probably find you'll have to unscrew it or something and bolt a new one on. Shouldn't be too difficult but it'd involve pulling the carpet up at least.

I will take a photo of mine tonight so you can see what should be there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mickburkesnr said:

No problem. You'll probably find you'll have to unscrew it or something and bolt a new one on. Shouldn't be too difficult but it'd involve pulling the carpet up at least.

I will take a photo of mine tonight so you can see what should be there.

I'd really appreciate that! Thanks. 

Sorry for the delay, life gets in the way sometimes.

Anyway, here's what your car should have. Excuse the mess, I'm working on the car.

image1.thumb.jpeg.18b66c12a7ffc9502f07eda7583fdf71.jpeg

Over the weekend I helped my friend buy a new car for himself, and he ended up with a 5 door Corolla GS from 2001. I would say it's more or less the same as your car.

I noticed when I got out of the car that it only had a fuel filler release on the floor, and nothing for the rear boot. I haven't investigated it any further as he was keen to get back on the road in his new whip.

Starting to think though that it maybe the case the 5 door Corolla's never had a boot release from the inside, but the older 3 doors (like mine) did. However that seems fairly silly, but the idea that two 5 door Corolla's could have broken boot releases as well is just as weird.

We have a 2001 Corolla GS 5 door (liftback, so same one?).  It definitely has a remote boot release, next to the fuel flap release.

I'm sure you know, Mick, but for anyone else who may not, the 3 doors were from Japan, the 5 doors from Derby, so their specs, certainly from a spare parts ordering viewpoint, are often different, I seem to remember.

Did the Jap. ones suffer the inlet manifold rattle? 

HTH

• Like 1

Absolutely no idea. My one hasn't got a rattle at all, but the car my friend picked up on Saturday has, especially under acceleration.

The boot latch issue may be a recurring issue for the E12 too as I have the same problem. Either weak parts were installed which carried on to the next generation, or over exuberance from previous owners caused it to snap. The fuel release lever on my previous gen 6 Celica which had a very similar layout was notoriously stiff so I personally would guess the former but not rule out the latter as I nursed it for 10 years.

Mick thank you for the picture. Thanks for all your help with this guys. I suspect my model never had a boot release to start with, it doesn't look like something has snapped off and as you say it would seem odd that the same model you saw only has fuel lever too. Bit odd if it is the case that they designed a version where the boot can only be opened by stopping the engine, getting out and using the key! Like I said,not the biggest problem in the world, just a minor inconvenience that you would have assumed Toyota would have considered. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links