Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Draft coming through Drivers door on a 131 tourer

muddle84

Hello,

My wife has a 131 avensis tourer that has close to 100k miles on the clock. I have noticed lately that there is a draft on the door at motorway speeds. I can't feel the draft but i can hear it and it sounds like its coming from the wing mirror area of the door seal. Has any one else encountered this or how can I get it fixed? I have heard of issues with the hinges on these doors but the hinges seem to be holding up ok on this.

Hi Martin,

Not sur what a 131 avensis is? Your profile says 008 Avensis but it is the T27 (2009>) that can have issues with cracks by the hinge plate.

Wind noise from the wing mirror area is something that has been reported on the T27 iirc & at one point they put strakes on the Avensis wing mirrors to cut wind noise but I can't remember when/what model.

It could be just that the door seal is going & needs replaced.

Thanks for the reply!

My bad I forgot where I was posting. 131 is the number that would be on a number plate in the republic of ireland for the first half of 2013. So its a 2013 avensis tourer. Its my wifes car. I drive the 2008 avensis.

Is there any way i can check the door seal? It seems to be perectly in tact at the moment and no sign of perishing. Are they expensive to replace?

The other possibility is that the small fixed panel of glass by the mirror isn't sealed into the frame properly - fairly sure that has been reported before.

I had this on mine, late 2012 tourer, went to the local dealer once with the issue just after it was three years old, told this issue wasn't covered as it was out of its three year period for mechanical problems!

The door also had the crack just below the check strap, as covered in another topic thread.

Having read on here that another poster had had his doors changed after the three year period, but within the five year warranty time I went back.

This time i have managed to get both front doors replaced and the rear ones sprayed as well to match in, all under warranty.

The latest thing i am having done under warranty is getting the headlights replaced, this is due to heat scorching around the DRL's. 

Worth getting yours checked (Muddle84) before the 5 year warranty runs out.

49 minutes ago, crofts2007 said:

Worth getting yours checked (Muddle84) before the 5 year warranty runs out.

I don't think that the RoI has the 5 year warranty (unless Extended taken out).

Thanks for the replies! I will look into the warranty! I must check the door for cracks to see could it be related to the issue you mentioned in another thread. 

The standard Toyota new car warranty in the EU is 3 years/100,000km (60,000 miles). 

Extended warranties don't cover bodywork - though it is possible this may vary from country to country.

Toyota GB offered the 5 year/100,000 miles new car warranty on cars first registered from June 2010, and for cars purchased within the UK.

Where the door clicks into the latch on the car might be too far outwards meaning that the door seal isnt tight enough to your door. You can normally adjust these using a torque set. Worth a try so you can to save money? I recently had a door leak and remembered hearing a whistle noise coming from my passenger door so a mechanic friend told me to try that first and it solved the problem! Good luck.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links