Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Headlights

Mick F

We drove back from North Cornwall yesterday evening along unlit Cornish lanes.  We've owned our 2104 Yaris Hybrid since the end of August this year and this was the first time we've been along miles of unlit lanes.  To say we were disappointed with the headlight performance, is no exaggeration.  Pitiful is probably more like it.

This is the first car we have ever owned where the full beam and the dipped beam are in the same filament.  The light is fine on dipped beam, but terrible on full.  The light doesn't increase, it's just re-aimed.

Just spent an hour searching on the internet, and I can't seem to find an upgrade for the H1R2 bulbs.

Is this true, and I am just having to accept this?
Or is there something I can do (simply and legally) to increase the light output?

Back in the old days of driving a Mini with sealed beam units (we had seven Minis over the years), we fitted halogen auxiliary lights that came on with the full beam.  Is the the only alternative for a Yaris?

Thanks, Mick.

The same method for high beam is used on the IQ, second generation Aygo and Auris, etc.

Osram do an upgrade HIR2 bulb - but only up to 20% improvement in light output. Powerbulbs stock these.

Toyota have recently introduced their Optiwhite bulbs which includes an HIR2 fitment with up to 60% brighter light - presumably they're available in the UK.

Believe both are around £60-70 for a pair.

As regards the Toyota Optiwhite, either contact Parts King by pm and include your reg.no, or your local Toyota dealer.

Thanks for the very prompt response ......... again! :biggrin:

Optiwhite eh?  We may take a visit to a Toyota dealer.  The winter is almost upon us and the nights aren't half drawing in.

Thanks, Mick.

I have had this trouble as well and have found a replacement, its a HB4 rw3306 bulb, that Halfords are selling 90% brighter versions, the only downside is you have to trim part of one of the location lugs for it to fit. Compare the bulds side by side and you will see how it needs to be trimmed. But hey they are really brighter, also you can get them on eBay for less than Halfords price.

Dave

Standard HIR2 bulbs are supposed to be around 70% brighter than other halogen bulbs. So fitting 90% brighter HB4's will result in being around 20% brighter than standard HIR2's. 

Going down the HB4 route, a better choice may be the Osram Night breaker Unlimited HB4's at up to 110% brighter, which will be approx 40% brighter than HIR2's - https://www.amazon.co.uk/OSRAM-NIGHT-BREAKER-UNLIMITED-Headlight/dp/B00FQ8ANTE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510052764&sr=8-1&keywords=Osram+hb4+bulbs&dpID=41%2BQ8wzHq2L&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

• Thanks 1

Therefore the Optiwhites are the best bet at 60% brighter, as opposed to the Osram Nightbreaker HB4's at 40% brighter.

Mick.

1 hour ago, Mick F said:

Therefore the Optiwhites are the best bet at 60% brighter, as opposed to the Osram Nightbreaker HB4's at 40% brighter.

Mick.

Yes - unless you factor in the extra cost.

Although, if you have a service plan, depending on the dealer, you may be able to get a percentage off parts (and labour if you have them fitted).

Halfords are selling HB4's +130 so even brighter for £32each , buy one get one free!  As for the labour to fit the buld its simple as you can easily get to the back of bother headlight units.

Dave

I've been Googling for some hours on and off today regarding these HIB2 bulbs.

One thing I've found out, is that they aren't H1B2 but HIB2 ............. with a capital I, not a number 1.  Seems strange when other bulbs are for instance H1 ............. but I digress.

The main thing that I've found, is this thread.  

£60 ish for a pair.

Mick.

30 minutes ago, davekench said:

Halfords are selling HB4's +130 so even brighter for £32each , buy one get one free!  As for the labour to fit the buld its simple as you can easily get to the back of bother headlight units.

Dave

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/car-bulbs/halfords-9006-hb4--130-brighter-car-bulb-x-1

Sounds like the even better bet.

Thanks.  I'm sure I can modify the fitting, as the arrangement looks very similar.

Mick.

The upgrade non-HIR2 halogen bulb performance should be based on a standard halogen bulb (H4, H7, H11, HB4, etc) - eg 130% brighter than standard halogen.

Whereas the upgrade HIR2 bulb performance should be based on a standard HIR2 bulb, which is already around 70% brighter than a standard halogen bulb.

So theoretically the upgrade HIR2 bulb at 60% brighter than a standard HIR2 bulb should be brighter than an upgrade HB4 bulb which is 130% brighter than standard halogen.

As an aside, Halfords and Ring upgrade bulbs are both manufactured by Alise - so if choosing one of these brands, go for whichever is cheapest, as they're the same bulb.

4 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The upgrade non-HIR2 halogen bulb performance should be based on a standard halogen bulb (H4, H7, H11, HB4, etc) - eg 130% brighter than standard halogen.

Whereas the upgrade HIR2 bulb performance should be based on a standard HIR2 bulb, which is already around 70% brighter than a standard halogen bulb.

So theoretically the upgrade HIR2 bulb at 60% brighter than a standard HIR2 bulb should be brighter than an upgrade HB4 bulb which is 130% brighter than standard halogen.

As an aside, Halfords and Ring upgrade bulbs are both manufactured by Alise - so if choosing one of these brands, go for whichever is cheapest, as they're the same bulb.

On eBay £18.95 inc P&p

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ring-Xenon-130-H1-H4-H7-H11-HB4-Car-Headlight-Bulb-Twin-Pack-130-More-Light/192196906673?hash=item2cbfd40eb1:m:mSE08vDAoGRrsm66btth1hA

15 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

This thought has been in my tiny brain since my last post.  I had thought of calling in a Halfords and parting with £32 for two HB4's, then I considered that staying with the Optiwhite HIR2's even though they're going to cost £60ish for the pair sounds the better option.  They are, of course, designed for the job.

Gonna sleep on it.

Mick.

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

There appears to be nothing that actually says what they are basing their +60% on though so it could be rated against a "standard" halogen bulb. Especially as in my experience Toyota tends to use Optifit as a brand for parts that are a slightly lower level than Toyota-branded oem fitment. 

Different brand to Optifit, which are the cheaper option. Previously Toyota's upgrade bulbs have been sold under the name of Optibright, and this HIR2 upgrade bulb is sold as Optiwhite.

If I were you guys, I would probably just stick with the Osram Cool Blue Intense HIR2 bulbs. I have them installed and they are a bit brighter than the stock Toyota bulbs (Philips?).  

34 minutes ago, Justhandguns said:

If I were you guys, I would probably just stick with the Osram Cool Blue Intense HIR2 bulbs. I have them installed and they are a bit brighter than the stock Toyota bulbs (Philips?).  

.. but around 40% less bright than the Optiwhites

58 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

.. but around 40% less bright than the Optiwhites

If it is that bright, are they intended for 'off-road' use?

23 minutes ago, Justhandguns said:

If it is that bright, are they intended for 'off-road' use?

No

1 minute ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

No

40% is quite a bit brighter. But then again, 60quids for a pair.... 

The Osrams are between £24.99 (Autobulbs Direct) and £35.99 (Powerbulbs) each - with Amazon and eBay between the two costs.

I cycled down to Snows Toyota in Plympton today and bought a PAIR of HIR2 Optibright bulbs. They didn't have them in stock, so they were ordered for me to pick up on Friday ........... two days from now. Cost?  They were £40.64 for the pair including VAT.

I made sure that the lady I spoke to understood that they were Optibrights, and she assured me that they were.  Info as per the invoice is T90981-YZZDN HIR2 CUV 12V 55

Mick.

7 hours ago, Mick F said:

I cycled down to Snows Toyota in Plympton today and bought a PAIR of HIR2 Optibright bulbs. They didn't have them in stock, so they were ordered for me to pick up on Friday ........... two days from now. Cost?  They were £40.64 for the pair including VAT.

I made sure that the lady I spoke to understood that they were Optibrights, and she assured me that they were.  Info as per the invoice is T90981-YZZDN HIR2 CUV 12V 55

Mick.

Note that Mike said, "OptiWHITE" not "OptiBRIGHT"? (I think that Optibright is the standard fitment bulb and is why you've been quoted the lower price from what Mike suggested the Optiwhite's were...) However, since the part numbers appear to match, maybe you've got yourself a good deal there? Let us know how you find them in use, please Mick?

Will do!

I should be able to get to Snows Toyota at Plympton tomorrow, but it could be Saturday.  I have the picture of the box that they come in on my phone via iCloud, so I'll compare it to what I pick up.  If they're not the right ones, I won't bring them back and get them to re-check what I want.

I actually can't remember if I said Opti White or Bright, but I stressed that I wanted the extra bright ones than standard.  The young lady behind the counter fully understood - or at least I thought she did.  The way I see it, is that the standard bulbs would be in stock, but it's just the extra bright ones that aren't for the very reason that they aren't standard.

Fingers crossed, Mick.

1509515044647499762758.thumb.jpg.1d5b1d332a992f4bd9b88f6d17f267eb.jpg

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links