Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlights

Mick F

15 hours ago, Mick F said:

I tried to see how the foglights work.  First click brings on the front ones - BAD!  The rears should come on with the first click. 

I actually like the existing design and would not want it changed. On my other cars the fronts come on first or have separate buttons.

On 12/11/2017 at 5:38 AM, Mick F said:

Pre-dawn test drive complete.

I cannot say I was impressed, but I was relieved.  The headlights are now like they should have been all along.  Not fantastic, but quite good .................. thank goodness!

I tried to see how the foglights work.  First click brings on the front ones - BAD!  The rears should come on with the first click.  This is the same as our 2001 Clio.

I couldn't get the switch to turn to rears, as it seemed springloaded and wouldn't work.  I'll dig out the instruction manual later.

Mick.

I don't think it is bad, the front fog light is very useful in tricky conditions such as driving in a completely dark country road as it gives better peripheral illumination at a lower angle. The rear fog light is really only useful in very foggy conditions (or very heavy rain). Lots of people drive their car with the front fog lights on, I have never seen people being stopped by Police though. The read fog light on the other hand is quite different in my opinion, it sometimes looks like the car is constantly braking (that's the use I guess). But as newer cars all got fancy LED DLR these days, I wonder when they will change the laws once again.

People driving in clear conditions with front fog lights on always get full beam in return from me.

I found the fog lights on my iQ were never used so I re-wired them through a relay to come on with main beam making them into extra main beam lights, far more useful now.

Craig.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A friend of ours was stopped by the police and had an on the spot fine for having front foglight on in clear weather.

Read the Highway Code.

Rule 236

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

22 hours ago, Mick F said:

A friend of ours was stopped by the police and had an on the spot fine for having front foglight on in clear weather.

Read the Highway Code.

Rule 236

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

Well, that is good. The lack of enforcement is always a problem. I was following a car without any brake light just last week, while I was fast approaching, and still plenty of cars with just one headlight on the road right at this second. 

Regardless of the laws, modern front fog lights a design to focus low rather than beaming straight, unlike those on Rally cars. But people on high beam are, haven't any of you been 'shine' by your mirror lately?:wink:

Front fogs dazzle! Just look how often you're blinded by idiots that drive with them on! I put my high beams on at those who are killing my vision.

Also, get your headlight alignment checked if you replace a headlight bulb - the number of people running around with incorrectly adjusted headlights is crazy!

• Like 1

@Justhandguns:

>> rear fog light ... very heavy rain

As long as people remember to switch them off as soon as something is behind them, that's fine, but people don't treat them the same way as high beams for example.

3 minutes ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Also, get your headlight alignment checked if you replace a headlight bulb - the number of people running around with incorrectly adjusted headlights is crazy!

Provided the replacement bulb is seated correctly, the alignment shouldn't be affected. I've upgraded the headlight bulbs on our previous 11 cars, and not had an issue with alignment - including at MOT. With the Aygo, when replacing a bulb, with the lights on, Toyota describe how to check for correct seating.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Also, get your headlight alignment checked if you replace a headlight bulb

Totally unnecessary as long as a road legal replacement has been fitted correctly. It's a different story, though, with some of the retina searing aftermarket rubbish that people fit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Front fogs dazzle! Just look how often you're blinded by idiots that drive with them on! I put my high beams on at those who are killing my vision.

I sometimes think that some garages use cheap European parts (headlamp in this case) to repair some accident damages without know that they drive on the other side. That is why the beams are completely wrong and shining directly into on-coming traffics. Very annoying indeed.

I also recently notice that there are certain German cars with very very bright LED brakelights, yes, they can easily be spotted even in some bad weather conditions, but if you are following them closely in a jam, they give you eye sores every single time.....

• Like 1

Yeah; It's about this time of year I just sit in traffic with my eyes closed because *everyone* has their brakelights on even if they've been stationary for many minutes. With most cars I can still *see* the light through my eyelids... but the handy thing there is I know it's time to go when the light goes away :laugh:

I'm impressed someone actually got done for leaving their front fogs on - Literally the first time I've heard of anyone being done for it!

That said, I feel it's kind of contradictory and moot these days as DRLs are *far* worse, especially at this time of year when the light is low but nobody turns on their sidelights on to cancel them so it's just a sea of brighter-than-front-fog DRLs all shining in at me all the way home. :ranting:

It's my second most hated thing after people sitting in traffic with their foot on the brake pedal!

• Haha 1

I wish the law would catch up with advancements in technology and actually consider the light output rather than power consumption. It would be one thing that I would apply retrospectively, too, as it is something that is independent of vehicle age. Only where the vehicle is fitted with OEM parts would they pass (but new vehicles would need to consider the new rules).

It seems to be after-market mods that are the biggest problem. While some OEM lights are really bright, too, they are not as bad as they generally don't dazzle.

4 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I wish the law would catch up with advancements in technology and actually consider the light output rather than power consumption.

They are getting there (& many of the existing laws actually don't state a wattage) - at least our lighting laws are considerably ahead of those in the USA.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cyker said:

It's my second most hated thing after people sitting in traffic with their foot on the brake pedal!

What is annoying about the Hybrid is that when the engine is running to charge up the Battery the car has to be in gear or in park. If it is in neutral the batteries are not charged. Given this, you have to hold the car on the foot brake when stationary! The only alternative is to go into park (and use the handbrake), but this would show the following car a flash of the reversing lights - not good. Actually, you can stay in D and use the handbrake, but the electric motor will try to move the car - wasting energy!

15 hours ago, Cyker said:

I'm impressed someone actually got done for leaving their front fogs on - Literally the first time I've heard of anyone being done for it!

From what I remember, it was a £60 fine, and I think some points on the licence but I can't be sure about that.

This was some years ago, and since then, we rarely ever see a policeman let alone on on traffic duty.  We have Devon and Cornwall Police here, and we often joke there's only two .........  one for each county.

Mick.

1 hour ago, Mick F said:

From what I remember, it was a £60 fine, and I think some points on the licence but I can't be sure about that.

This was some years ago, and since then, we rarely ever see a policeman let alone on on traffic duty.  We have Devon and Cornwall Police here, and we often joke there's only two .........  one for each county.

Mick.

I have only seen cars being stopped by unmarked police cars in Surrey near my area. I just saw a car with front fog light on following a Police car last night for the entire length of the street without any incidents..... 

I can understand that the UK police have different priorities (and the lack of manpower), but they have to do better in terms of picking out illegal vehicles on the roads. If the fines go directly to their revenue, would that help? I would rather see the money goes to keep to the Police to us safe than going to some private parking enforcement companies.

Fines that the Police issue go to the Treasury (Central Government). The Police have no direct benefit from the issue and payment of fines.

The Police and Fire Service are funded partly by Central Government and partly by your Local Authority. You pay for these services through both general taxation (income tax ,VAT, et ) and your Council Tax.

The Ambulance service is funded by the NHS, and the NHS is funded mostly by general taxation and partly by National Insurance.

@CPN: What are the fog lights like? Were they easy to change?

I ordered the HIR2 OptiWhite yesterday, and waiting for them to arrive at my local dealer.

I'll change one side and get a photo with both types fitted for comparison.

6 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

@CPN: What are the fog lights like? Were they easy to change?

To be honest, they are a bit of a bitch to get at (see the manual!) but once in there behind the units, they are easy enough if a bit stiff at first (quarter turn anti-clockwise). The new bulbs have improved them no end. Before, as you have already mentioned, they were completely useless. Now, they actually augment the spread of the dip beam in front of the car when on.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CPN said:

To be honest, they are a bit of a !Removed! to get at (see the manual!) but once in there behind the units, they are easy enough if a bit stiff at first (quarter turn anti-clockwise). The new bulbs have improved them no end. Before, as you have already mentioned, they were completely useless. Now, they actually augment the spread of the dip beam in front of the car when on.

well, that's the reason why I still have not replaced the fog lights, it is really a lot of hassles. By the way, are they H11 bulbs

No. They are H16 as per the manual (also see the photo in my earlier post).

19 hours ago, CPN said:

No. They are H16 as per the manual (also see the photo in my earlier post).

H11s according to my manual but that has to be a mistake. There's no way I would fit a 55W H11 into a small enclosure like the fog lamps. It had factory Osram H16s.

I've fitted H16 Osram Fogbreakers.

Changing isn't that bad but I'd hate to try without using ramps. It's only three screws each side and the plastic pulls back enough for access. Remove the plug first, otherwise they will not turn to release. The plug fouls on the height adjuster.

• Like 1

Indeed. I should have mentioned that last bit myself which I found out the first time I attempted a change...

3 hours ago, CPN said:

Indeed. I should have mentioned that last bit myself which I found out the first time I attempted a change...

Me too.:rolleyes::laugh:

Extract from my handbook. I suspect Type B should read H16?

"Front fog lights (if equipped) 55W  Type B"

"A: H4 halogen bulbs B: H11 halogen bulbs C: Wedge base bulbs (clear) D: Wedge base bulbs (amber) E: Double end bulbs F: Single end bulbs"

Some months ago I replaced my headlamp bulbs with l.e.ds.  Far superior to the originals.  Rather expensive though.  I bought them from Horizon Leds.

Vis-a-vis front and rear fog light switching, I find normal sequence of front first and then rear is most irritating.  I have never found front fogs to be much use.  I usually find dipped headlights serve me better. 

On a previous car, a 2000-ish Mondeo, I changed the wiring behind the dash so that the rear fogs came on first.  Can't be bothered to bugger about with the Yaris.  

Another thing I find irritating is that the first setting from Park on the transmission lever is Reverse,  presumably because most drivers put their car nose-in when they park.  Since the forward visibility in every vehicle I have ever driven is far better than the rear visibility, driving out of a parking space is far safer than reversing out.