Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best tyre dimension for Auris Icon 1.6 2013

jackmaverick

Hi,

What do you think is the best tyre dimension for and Auris Icon 2013 1.6?

I need to change them but I am not sure, the ones the car has at the moment I believe are not the originals, and they are 205/55 R16 91V.

In wheel-size.com says that the recommended size is 205/55ZR16 91W  but I am not 100% sure this is accurate ...

Also, do you recommend any particular brand?

Thanks in advance.

Drivers side pillar should have the recomended tire sizes, which in my case are 195/65 15 and 205/55 16. I'd go with 15" ones for winter, and 16" for summer.

The OE tyre size for 16 inch wheels is 205/55/R16 91V.

If considering the 15 inch wheels/tyres, check with your insurer whether they accept the change or view it as a modification.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys, do you recommend one (15") over the other (16")? 

On 07/11/2017 at 2:50 PM, jackmaverick said:

Hi,

What do you think is the best tyre dimension for and Auris Icon 2013 1.6?

205/55 R16 91V     205/55ZR16 91W  

the 91V rated tyre can be used up to 149mph and the 91W can be used for speeds above 149mph

so having the W rated tyre wouldn't be an issue

if you had a V rated instead of a W rated then this could be a problem.

7 hours ago, eygo said:

if you had a V rated instead of a W rated then this could be a problem.

doubt it because he isn't going to get an Auris 1.6 to do 149mph ... :tongue:

8 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

doubt it because he isn't going to get an Auris 1.6 to do 149mph ... :tongue:

my reasoning behind my quote is due to the fact that you have fitted a tyre that doesnt meet the manufacturers minimum specifications for the vehicle that its been fitted to but the W rating exceeds the minimum specifications.

if your car could be driven at 100mph and you have a tyre rated at 110mph you would always be close to the absolute limits of tyre this is why the rating will be higher

its not to say the car can reach the speeds of the tyre its to make sure the tyre is safe, at the maximum speed of the tyre the tyre will reach an operating temperature

this temperature could be exceeded if your tyre maximum speed is only marginally more than the capabilities of the car i.e.having 5 heavy people in the car with luggage in the boot on a motorway journey .

9 hours ago, eygo said:

my reasoning behind my quote is due to the fact that you have fitted a tyre that doesnt meet the manufacturers minimum specifications for the vehicle that its been fitted to but the W rating exceeds the minimum specifications.

but V rating does meet the manufacturer's specification for an Auris 1.6.

if your car could be driven at 100mph and you have a tyre rated at 110mph you would always be close to the absolute limits of tyre this is why the rating will be higher

its not to say the car can reach the speeds of the tyre its to make sure the tyre is safe, at the maximum speed of the tyre the tyre will reach an operating temperature

this temperature could be exceeded if your tyre maximum speed is only marginally more than the capabilities of the car i.e.having 5 heavy people in the car with luggage in the boot on a motorway journey .

Like all things there is a built-in margin of capability plus, of course, the legal limit in the UK is 70mph (less than 1/2 the rating of a V-rated tyre) ... :wink:

manufacturers have to take into account the Autobahn exists and its feasible the car maybe used on this road at some point in its life

so they have to allow for an instance that may happen

The car still isn't capable of getting within 10% of the tyre's rating (& the tyre will be rated conservatively, it will perform past that speed).

Usually as regards tyre speed ratings, manufacturers allow for a wide margin (sometimes very wide) between the vehicle's potential top speed and the capability of the tyres. Additionally sometimes the wheel/tyre combination is chosen to differentiate a higher trim level model from the lower trim level, and/or to endow a sporty look. Nothing to do with the car's potential top speed.

For example our 2007 Mazda 2 Capella 1.4 had a top speed of 102mph, yet had 16 inch alloys with 195/45/R16 V tyres and a maximum speed rating of 149mph.