Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Big dent to attempt myself or to leave?

Ben93

Someone has either jumped fallen or whacked my car. It's not a car bump from where it is. Now I want to know if I should attempt to push it out from inside under the wheel arch or leave it to a pro 

I've been told by pros anything from they can get 80/90 perxent of it out. 

Some say they can do it but don't say to what standard 

Some say they have to drill it pull it fill and repaint it all to look OK.

Heres a photo 

DSC_1616.JPG

That won't push out from inside without showing on the surface, and would look worse than it does now.  A decent bodyshop should be able to repair it with excellent results tho - they'll manipulate the metal to as close to the original shape as possible, shrink it if necessary, then smooth over the surface with cataloy and re-paint.  The paint match might not be perfect if only doing the one panel tho - might be better with the paint blown in to the adjacent panels.  I'd expect a quote from a good back street bodyshop to be somewhere around £200.

As above...^^^...don't even try that yourself...it won't work and it will still be a mess.

It's a body shop job.

I am loath to put the cat amongst the pigeons here...

This Youtube video (there are a lot of them) shines a ray of hope on the possibility of there being a cheaper fix.

It is a big positive that the access to the back of the panel is excellent in your car's situation, and the paint has not been breached and there are no sharp creases.

The results that some of these Youtube posters get is mind-boggling.

I think any 'Smart' repairer would offer a quote if you emailed that picture to them, e.g. Dent Devils, Chips Away.

Just a thought.

I doubt the damage on the OP's car would respond well to that...the top and bottom creases would be a challenge.

For me...it's a body shop job....assuming the OP wants a result that takes his car back to how it was.

I don't want to go too mad as someone has a vendetta against my car I don't mind if it's not perfect but just better than that chips away said they can get a 90 percent improvement on it. 60 quid. 

Are they bolt on wings panels? 

I'd have a go at it yourself. Nothing to loose really and it can be repaired afterwards if you can't do it well enough. If the panel comes off the car it will be easier to get some muscle behind the dent.

Craig.

It's not worth the cost for a 11 year old car would be cheaper to buy the same wing from breakers prep it myself back to metal take it to be painted and blown into my car than to pull it manipulate it fill it etc. Chips away said it wil be alot better than it is which I'm happy with they reckon wil just be a line where the original bends were in the wing which is much better than a football sized dent. 

• 5 weeks later...

Have it fixed by a professional.