Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sr180 clutch lasted only 30,000 miles!

berbick0107

Hi all ,

im after some advice please , I’ve had my 2009 rav4 sr180 for about 3/12 years now , when I first purchased it I was soon to find out it had the pressure in expansion tank common problem ,thanks to this forum I was pleased to find out that Toyota would cover the cost for this fault by fitting a new engine block free of charge which they did , the only thing I paid for which was my choice was to have a new clutch fitted ,at the time my rav had covered 64000 miles so I thought it would be a good idea at the cost of about £350 for the part and was fitted free of charge while Work was carried out on engine , so I’ve had more or less 3 1/2 years of trouble free motoring ,but now after only covering 30,000 miles the clutch has started to slip when in 5th or 6th gear on acceleration , I know I am out of warranty after 12 months on parts , but surely a clutch shouldn’t wear out after 30,000 miles , what would be the cost of fitting another clutch by main dealer ? , or would I be better off finding a local garage to carry out work to save on cost , it has been by far the best car I’ve had so I’m going to have to get it sorted one way or another, I would really appreciate any advice THANK YOU ! 

How many miles a clutch last for is heavily dependent on the way the driver operates it, and how much of the use is moving off when stationary.  It is impossible to generalise.

I would try and find out if a clutch was actually fitted and also if it was genuine or not. 30,000 miles is quite rare for a clutch to wear out. In certain circumstances though it is possible. For example a lot of towing, slipping the clutch on a hill also a lot of round town driving can wear the clutch quicker. Like IanML said, it is dependant on the way the driver operates it. I have known people destroy a clutch in a day doing burnouts and launches. But with the average joe 30,000miles is quite premature.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links