Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New here, need help

Handy01

Hello, new to this forum thing, defiantly need help with my 04 Rav, hope to pick some brains about oil sump pick up getting blocked, as a result (unknown at the time) killed the turbo. Turbo replaced, ran fine for a month or so, then due to pick up being blocked, I have bottom end knock, is it worth getting the crank ground re shelled, or seconded hand/recon engine?

Hello Steve - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Topic moved to the Rav4 club.

Hi Steve

Don't know what you mean with "bottom end knock" so can't comment on that.

I have just been through a turbo change, and had also a blocked oil pick up in the sump.

Some of the reasons that the oil pick up gets blocked can be a lot of short trips, long mileage interval between oil change, and low quality of the engine oil.... BUT the big sinner can be worn out injector nozzle seal between the injectors and cylinder head.

Is your new turbo dead already?

When you start up the car, does the oil pressure lamp turn off right away?? (if no, bad oil pressure due to the oil pump or blocked oil pick up)

Anyway... what I would recommend that you do is the following: Give your engine a engine flush, dismount the sump and clean the oil pick up, new oil and filter... then off with valve cover and change the injector nozzle seats... then you can also check how clean it is up there... change your turbo if it's dead... then after 500-1000 driving, do another oil and filter change, of cause also engine flush.

The picture is not my oil pick up... but it looked the same.

Don't know if it answers your question

Jes 

oil pick up.jpg

Bottom end knock = big ends maybe? Con rod? Dunno, new turbo is ok, pressure light not strait away, that oil pick up looks the same as mine was. found this in the sump, not a clue either what this was either, just wanted to ask if it's worth doing? If so, how easy is the baffle to remove to check the end shells? Bearing in mind, I'm not in a garage, and I'm crawling about on my back under the thing

IMG_0877.PNG

IMG_0878.PNG

This was the gunk in the sump, just wanted to add, I've done oil/ filter change every six months regardless of mileage since I've had it (5 years)

IMG_0879.PNG

Edited by Handy01

Hmmm... can't figure out what the thing is that you pulled out of the sump.. but the oil pick up looks like s... thats for sure. 

Well I wouldn't start to dismount the bottom if I couldn't get the car on a lift, but of cause more or less everything can be done without... I just think it would be very hard to check the bearings and rods. 

But what is the mileage on you car, and has you ever changed the seal at the injectors.... know you write that you have changed oil and filter every 6 month, but how with your driving... short trips/long trips.

I know now that the oil pick up should be inspected at every oil change, now they really have a tendency to clogged up.

Anyway... I would say that my garage skills have come to the limit here, and I won't be able to give you any further advice unfortunately... Hope that someone reading the forum with a mechanic background can help you out here.

Jes  

It's got 120k on it, injectors were replace by a dealer a year back or so. I do about 100 miles a week day to day, plus going out and about. Didn't know the pickup needs checking that regular, new one on me.

trouble is, if I get a recon engine, what am I going to get, it's a lottery I know. Thank you for your time on this subject, I appreciate it. Cheers

I may add, I've had a bit of experience with engines, mainly motorcycles, so I'm not an amature, though working on this thing makes me realise some things can wear you down a tad, and how awkward these car things are to work on, diesels are new ground for me as well, guess I should of got a shogun lol

anyway thanks again 

Hi again

You are most welcome.... and inspecting the oil pick up was also new to me.

If you had the injectors replaced, then the seals are not the problem.. but all the stuff on the oil pick up can be old if it wasn't checked at that time

Anyway.. I fully agree with you, that an eBay replacement engine can be like the lottery.... so if your in general happy with the car, and it's in good shape, then I would defiantly consider consulting a good workshop, and at least get an assessment on repair costs... could be they also would know where the stuff you found in the sump came from.

Please post when you know something new, I'm sure that any information can be useful.

Have a good one :smile:

Jes

Yes, I'm new here! Can anyone give advice on adjusting clutch pedal (2007 Rav4 VVTI). Which panels to take off, that make the job easier to access.