Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cruise control on the cheap!

Kingsway

How steep is the hill? That matters, obviously! :P

Yes, and the speed that the CC is trying to maintain.

The hill is stated at 12% but that's an average.  The steepest parts are near the top, and I think it's more like 15% or even nearly 20%.  30mph is difficult even without CC, as you have to be on the brakes almost all the way down to stay legal.  Selecting B on the Hybrid is ok, but you have to apply the brakes for a short spell at the same time.

There's an escape lane half way down for any vehicle in trouble, but it's not been used for some years.  Maybe lorry brakes are better these days, or maybe drivers don't heed the speed limit.

Mick.

It doesn't take much of a hill for it to accelerate, thanks to the reduced drag of the drivetrain.

There is a shallow hill near where I am; I might head out that way tomorrow - I'll try cruise there (it's a 30 MPH limit). I need to use light braking to hold speed (approximately the first tick mark, sometimes the second) so it will be an interesting test!

Lorry brakes are better, but yes, people seem to completely ignore the speed limit now. I have lost count of how many times I get passed when driving at the speed limit. :bangin:

It was strange, but cruise braked down the hill, and went to 1.5 into CHG to hold speed. It's better at it than I am (I hold the speed, but a bit variable with the amount of braking). :laugh:  I need a steeper hill.

Yesterday, we came out on our hill from a side road further down, and I held the car back with the brakes and engaged CC at 30mph just as I released the brake.  It tried to hold the 30mph, but couldn't.  Sorry, forgot to look at the CHG reading.

I engaged B and CC disengaged, so I carried on in B with light braking as normal.

Mick.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links