Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car feels flat at low revs..

kt66

I'm finding that my Auris is feeling "flatter" than it used to at low speeds/revs and I'm having to work the gears a bit harder as a conseqence. It's really only under about 2500 revs - over that and it feels fine

I've checked and cleaned the EGR valve (which was OK- incidentally, I found it a bit odd that the end of the pipe which goes towards the back of the car has a blanking gasket which would stop anything travelling along the pipe but I guess this is standard ??)

Any suggestions on what to look at next ? - Someone suggested this Revive turbo cleaner though I'm a bit reluctant if, as seems you can end up with error codes as a result.

Many thanks

I remember recently reading someone claiming the same,  car becoming a little sluggish at low rpm's, dont know about the engine tho.

Their fix was to reset the ECU every 12 month's or so, by disconnecting the Battery for 15 min, reconnect, and let it idle for few minutes, before 1st drive.

Thanks for that, it does seem a bit odd doesn't it. I'll try the battery/Ecu thing though. 

One thing I forgot to say is that there's also a "bubbling" noise on tick over  on the passenger side. Seems to disappear when I rev it (but it might be that I can't then hear it)  it sounds a vague description and I presume it'll be air either going in or out but I can't find out where from. 

Again, any pointers would be much appreciated. 

Thanks 

That was me (ECU reset) but it applied to the 1.33L Petrol. Always worth a try, if only to eliminate doubt.

• Thanks 1

Other things worth checking:

• MAF sensor may need a clean
  • Air filter may need changing
  • Diesel fuel filter may need changing
  • Throttlebody where the EGR, turbo and intake meet may need cleaning

If it's only happened recently, it may be coinciding with the change to winter-diesel - Most people won't notice as it's usually a small difference, but if like me you can feel the difference between V-Power diesel and regular diesel, or even supermarket diesel and Shell/BP diesel, they that may be it.

In my Yaris D4D, V-Power diesel vs Sainsburys/shell regular causes a noticeable loss of low-end torque but makes the engine run smoother; The power/torque curve is effectively pushed up by 500rpm or so and the engine feels much safer to push to higher RPMs because there's less vibration.

Another thing could be if you tend to only drive it quite gently (e.g. following the shift arrows), it might be worth going on a long hard hoon somewhere on a weekend to get the engine and exhaust really really hot - This will help burn off any crud that has built up on the injectors, and can also help burn off any crap that could be dragging the variable turbo vanes. Toyota diesels tend to run quite cool which starts off good for efficiency but is actually really bad for them in the long term because gummy crud never gets burnt off.

Great, again many thanks. I'll need to do a bit of Googling to find out where some of the items are but looks like Saturday morning is sorted out....

Thanks

That's a brilliant document - really helpful. Thanks very much for that.