Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help - Avensis T22 Terra with no stereo

Dandon

Hello guys,

newcomer here. I just got a 2000 Avensis T22 1.6 110CV  for free from a relative. It's almost like new (58000 km and well maintained), but unfortunately it lacks even the most basic radio/stereo unit, theres just a blind cover. It is a base Terra model. I have taken off the central console and I can see the antenna wire, but not the usual radio wire harness or connectors. It's supposed to have 4 Speakers (at least the grills are there), so I guess they should be wired... but I'm unable to find the plugs. Can somebody give me a hint as to where to look for them? Or are they just not wired?

TIA,

Daniel

I suspect the radio wiring has either been well hidden or has been cut out. try and remove more of the trim, use mirror to look behind heater vents and controls, and further back behind the dashboard. Also look near the instrument panel and glove/storage box. 
I don't think any Avensis was ever made without a radio/cassette or CD player. 
Another problem with I hate, is in the past when the original radio was replaced, wires were simply cut. This is before adapter cables became widely available.  

1 hour ago, Konrad C said:

I don't think any Avensis was ever made without a radio/cassette or CD player. 

Depends on the importer and what spec they decided upon for that market. The OP, who is non-UK, says it is the base model and there is a blanking piece where the stereo should be - so it may or may not have the wiring loom.

Only way to determine whether Speakers are in the doors is to have a look behind the door cards. For example, the base first generation Auris had speaker grills in the rear doors, but the Speakers and wiring weren't installed.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Depends on the importer and what spec they decided upon for that market. The OP, who is non-UK, says it is the base model and there is a blanking piece where the stereo should be - so it may or may not have the wiring loom.

Only way to determine whether speakers are in the doors is to have a look behind the door cards. For example, the base first generation Auris had speaker grills in the rear doors, but the speakers and wiring weren't installed.

Thanks a lot to both of you.  Indeed this is the original factory setup, I know for sure that no mods have been made. BTW, why someone would offer or buy a family car without even a basic radiocassette player, in the year 2000, is beyond my understanding.

The mirror trick sounds like a good idea. I'll try and search a little further inside the dashboard and, if I don't find the wires, I will open the door panels as you suggest ASAP.

Regards,

Daniel

Madrid, Spain

21 minutes ago, Dandon said:

BTW, why someone would offer or buy a family car without even a basic radiocassette player, in the year 2000, is beyond my understanding.

Could be that the importer targeted a particular segment of their market with that spec - for example fleet or rental market. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/11/2017 at 6:56 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Could be that the importer targeted a particular segment of their market with that spec - for example fleet or rental market. 

Hi all,

still no luck. The Speakers are there,  I can see them through the door grille with a flashlight. I've found that in Germany this model was also sold without any radio. This is how the center console looks like:  

I keep searching...

Regards,

Daniel

20171130_150954.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links