Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4D won't start

ikobek

Hello to everyone! My Avensis just stopped to start the engine. I parked the car, after 10 minutes it just stopped. So in Techstream there arent any fault codes. The starter is spinning and the rpms go up and down for a little. There is a smoke and unburned fuel. I changed the Battery with new one, it is still the same. In the last days, it was starting slower and slower. It can be started by pulling. There arent any loss of power or hard work of the engine and the injectors. But when i stop the car, i cant start it again. :mellow::mellow:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtQtDCnLo-4  I post also a video. Any advice?

Probably the starter going bad

If your car has a 1CD engine, there is a known issue with the starter motor not working properly when the engine is warm - http://cyker.net/Public/CarStuff/TSB_starterproblem_EG6005-TOY.pdf

The fix is to replace the starter motor with a revised one which fixes the problem (Annoyingly they both have the same code)

My starter motor went bad 2 weeks after I bought car, but it gives no errors. You need 2 people and a voltmeter  to test if it works when warm and when cold. In the old days knocking it would give it one last life in an emergency.

9 hours ago, m456an said:

My starter motor went bad 2 weeks after I bought car, but it gives no errors. You need 2 people and a voltmeter  to test if it works when warm and when cold. In the old days knocking it would give it one last life in an emergency.

How can i test the starter? 

17 hours ago, ikobek said:

How can i test the starter? 

Well, the RAC man had the voltmeter and I was inside the car trying to start it. He did not like me trying to work out what was wrong with the car, nor did he explain the process. But the positive terminal does connect to the starter and that is how you find the motor:

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/misc-index/starter-motor-on-car-tests-2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links