Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2004-2006 1.4 D4D

angryengineer

Dear Forum Users,

I want to buy a 2004-2006 model year Toyota Corolla hatchback in the UK having the 1.4 D4D Engine.

Do the 1.4 D4D engines in this model within this time period exhibit particular problems e.g. the excessive burning of oil?

Thank you really very much for knowledgeable comments in response to this query, as I have never previously owned or driven a Toyota vehicle.

Yours faithfully

Hi,

Don't have the details of the oil burning issue to hand, but if you search the Corolla forum it has been detailed quiet a few times; think 2006 models are free of the original problem, though many diesels will be high mileage after 11+ years.

My petrol  2006 1.6 is on 103k but only used about 0.5ltr of oil  between 10k services.

As far as I'm aware, it was the VVTi petrol engines that could suffer from heavy oil consumption - not the diesels.

The 1.4D4D has so far been one of the most reliable and bullet proof engines Toyota have made (I have one so I may be biased  :laugh:) - If the one you're referring to is the pre-DPF version (74HP vs 90HP), that has proven to be particularly reliable and robust, even when abused, as long as it's had regular oil changes to keep the timing chain in good shape.

The only semi-common issue that springs to mind is the EGR/throttle-body getting sooted up if the engine's never pushed, which eventually causes an uneven idle. It's an easy fix with a metal bowl and some carb cleaner!

I rarely have to top up the oil in mine - It's literally only if I'm running V-Power diesel and have been hooning about in the 3000-4000rpm area - Under normal use it uses no oil whatsoever.

TBH I don't recall any of the Corolla diesel engines having any major issues; The 2.0 D4D has a known issue with the starter motor not cranking the car if the engine is hot but that's pretty minor and the fix is to replace the starter motor with a revised unit.

The petrol ones fared worse - The 1.8VVTi had issues such as snapped lift-bolts if the 2nd valve timing was abused a lot and has had some reports of higher oil use, but given  most of these were from CTS owners, I suspect a lot of the issues were due to them being thrashed :laugh:.

I've just purchased a '06 1.4 d4d 86k corolla colour collection and am very happy with it.  This is one of the most reliable diesels made by any manufacturer full stop. One thing i'd look for is regular service history to check for regular oil & filters changes as letting oil go to long is a bad idea for these engines. The timing chain is inspected but not replaced and EGR valve can soot up. I use a fuel additive with helps with this and mpg, good hunting.

Hi All,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my query.

Is it true that the 89 bhp 1.4 D4D engine in 2004-2006 Corolla's is mated to a dual mass flywheel (DMF) and that the exhaust has a diesel particulate filter (DPF)?

If so, are these trouble free?

Don't know about DMF but as far as i know DPF wasn't fitted till late '09/10 on the Auris, as i had a '08 1.4d4d auris with no DPF. So can't see corolla of this ere having them fitted,  could've been an option though.