Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Screeching sound from belt when steering? Also when starting up in the cold. (Celica Gen 7)

JoeyJoe

Yesterday as I were driving home, my Celica started to make a nasty screeching sound when turning. The sound is definitely from a belt or a pulley I suspect. I took it home, and looked under the bonnet, slight rubbery burning smell. Still it screeched every time I steered it. 

This morning I started it up for work, it was frosty out, and it was doing it even without steering. It was so bad I turned it off again as not to ***** off the neighbours, while I defrosted my windows with a bank card. I poured a bit of water on the belt (not sure which belt, it has the alternator on it), and there was some steam coming off of it, it felt warm but not hot. I felt the pulleys and the same. Started it up, sound was still there, and drove it, the noise went away after I started driving, but it came back when steering.

Not 100% sure what it could be, I checked the power steering fluid which was fine. Any other suggestions? I want to fix it this weekend so want to order the parts asap.

Thanks!

The squeal is the sound of the alternator belt slipping, it'll be worse when cold and/or when using lots of electrics.  It could simply need tightened, or a need a new belt.  There's also a chance it could be a pulley seized.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, alan333 said:

The squeal is the sound of the alternator belt slipping, it'll be worse when cold and/or when using lots of electrics.  It could simply need tightened, or a need a new belt.  There's also a chance it could be a pulley seized.

It's also worth pointing out that if a belt has started to screach then it should be replaced, as the rubber will have gone through temperature changes meaning it's liable to do it more often in the future even if tightend.

Thanks, I've ordered another belt which will come tomorrow. Will get the current belt off and feel the pulleys, will update here later. 

Right, got replacement belt, We've taken the wheel off and had a look at the crank pully... its half the size! 

It must have broken apart. I remember a clonking noise just before the screeching started.

Weirdly the belt managed to stay on and even made new grooves in the pulley.

20171118_145351.jpg

20171118_145704.jpg