Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Steel rims lighter than alloys?

Kingsway

`I recently looked for a steel rim for my Yaris Hybrid, to use as a full-size spare.  I found someone on eBay offering 4 rims, with tyres from a 2009 Yaris. I put in a bid and got the lot for £50!

To my suprise, the winter tyres showed a manufacturing date of 2014 and very little sign of any wear - so I seem to have bagged myself £350-£400 worth of rims and tyres for my £50!

Another suprise came when I weighed the wheels and tyres -

The  OEM alloys,  fitted with Continental 175/65 15 tyres weigh  34.5 lb  (15.7 kg)   but the steel rims, fitted with Matador Siber snow-tyres 195/60 x 15'  weigh 32.5 lb (14.7 kg)

Here's what the differences should be:  

wheel-size.png

wheels.jpg

It'll be interesting to see how much they affect mileage...

Not all alloys are created equally. Some alloys can have weight reduction techniques applied to them during manufacture, such as hollowing out the spokes of the wheel. 

Sounds like a good buy for you though!

Have you got four spares, or a set of Winter wheels and tyres but still no spare?

Be careful about using them, a stroppy dealer could claim they invalidate the warranty and your insurance could get difficult in the event of a claim if they haven't been informed.

• Like 1

Yes, steel rims are sometime slighter than the alloys. There are so many grades of alloys used for wheels anyway, some probably have higher aluminium content, some less, some are cast and some are forged (better I think?). I am sure there are many experts around here can tell you about the details. So the so-called alloy wheels don't necessarily be lighter, they are just made to look better than the steel ones. 

I am currently with Toyota Insurance, I am pretty sure that they specifically state Toyota factory alloys in my contract. Where as when I had my old Peugeot, they couldn't care less. 

2 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

Have you got four spares, or a set of Winter wheels and tyres but still no spare?

Be careful about using them, a stroppy dealer could claim they invalidate the warranty and your insurance could get difficult in the event of a claim if they haven't been informed.

At the moment, I'm just carrying one as a spare, but will be fitting them to the car  for the winter. (I'll then carry one of the summer tyres + alloy as a spare)

I have sent an email to the insurers - but it looks like it should be no problem according to this doc I found online:

https://www.abi.org.uk/globalassets/sitecore/files/documents/publications/public/migrated/motor/abi-guide-to-winter-tyres-the-motor-insurance-commitment.pdf

The document does have some limitations with most companies stating the fitting of winter tyres will have no effect. However, the fitting of winter wheels and tyres may affect one's policy with some companies within the document, especially if the wheels and tyres are a different size to the OEM wheels and tyres.

Although it is four years ago, one member found that his insurer wouldn't consider different sized wheel and tyres for winter use - see extract below:

"I would like to point out to members again, that Toyota Insurance do not accept a change of wheel size from original specification. I have a 2012 Auris HSD T-Spirit with 17" wheels, and enquired about fitting 15" wheels and appropriate tyres for the winter. Toyota insurance will not provide cover for this change. I have concluded that if I want 15" wheels I will have to seek out an insurer that will provide cover for alternative wheels, or change my car for an Auris HSD T4 supplied new with 15" wheels."

I can confirm that bigger (yet lighter) tyres and steel rims seem to have not had any ill effect on fuel consumption - despite the winter tyres supposedly have higher rolling resistance.

However, I'm not prepared to put up with the nuisance and expense of having a second set of TPMS sensors to buy and maintain, so will probably abandon the idea of using winter tyres.  When I change the present set, I'll go for an 'All-season' type of  tyre.

Is there anything stopping you from just changing the tyres? That way you can have the winer tyres, but keep the wheels.

I was semi-contemplating getting winter tyres as my tyres are due to be replaced imminently anyway, but I'm on the fence about doing it as I would need another set of 4 tyres in 4 months time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Is there anything stopping you from just changing the tyres? That way you can have the winer tyres, but keep the wheels.

I was semi-contemplating getting winter tyres as my tyres are due to be replaced imminently anyway, but I'm on the fence about doing it as I would need another set of 4 tyres in 4 months time.

This would be the best bet. I know a chap who keeps four winter tyres in his loft and when it starts to get cold he'll bring them to his local tyre shop and they'll change the tyres over for him. As long as they're stacked on their side there's no problem with storing them.

I think that the OP's idea of changing to all seasons when replacing is probably the best but I don't know how snowy/icy it gets in Cambridgeshire.

You don't really need winter tyres even up here but they do give that bit of extra margin at this time of year if we do get snow  - rare these years.

I keep a complete set of winter wheels & tyres (no TPMS so will just put up with the warning light) so swap the lot [as repeated mounting & demounting isn't good for either tyres or rims] but when the tyres on this car need replaced I'll probably go CrossClimate+ or similar.

15 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

They're too big for the standard rims.  I'm still more inclined to go for All-seasons tyre next time I change.  I've never used  winter tires in the past, and (touch wood) never been stranded in the snow.  I could swear I get better acceleration with the lighter steel rims!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links