Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

CVT Paddle Shifters

mickandjanet

Can someone on this site explain to me in simple terms how to use the paddle shiffter , for example when in D MODE and going downhill and you want to slow the car down do you use the + or - paddle or for going up a hill is it the + or - paddle, also how do you return to just D mode,

Michael

I seldom use the flappy paddles..... In D mode, if you start flipping the paddles, it will switch to the semi mode. If you want to have more engine brake downhill (which the CVT should automatically detects heavy brakings and speed?), downshift by flipping the -ve (left) paddle. I can't quite remember how you go back to the full auto mode, what I did before was to shift the gear stick to M and then back to D. Someone corrects me if I am wrong.

Don't know about returning to D mode, but one would have thought if one wishes a lower ratio (ie change down for slowing down or climbing an incline) one uses the '-' paddle, and the '+' paddle when one wishes a higher ratio (ie change up).

4 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Don't know about returning to D mode, but one would have thought if one wishes a lower ratio (ie change down for slowing down or climbing an incline) one uses the '-' paddle, and the '+' paddle when one wishes a higher ratio (ie change up).

The same principle applies to manuals as well (as obviously applied to cars with paddle shifters and various other semi-auto systems) - the lower the gear you're in, the more engine braking you'll get (i.e. the engine will slow the car down more) and so the '-' paddle should be used for this.

7 hours ago, mickandjanet said:

how do you return to just D mode

It goes back to auto mode after a little while.  Watch the display - if it has a number showing then it's in manual mode, if it shows D then it's gone back to auto mode.

Thanks for all your replies, have now experimented and and learned from your comments.

Michael:biggrin:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links