Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Two questions: Fuel Gauge and Exhaust.

paulie b

Hi. I have just purchased my first Aygo. It's a 2012 Fire model. I have two questions for you. 

Firstly, when I got the car, the fuel gauge was reading half full. I put twenty pounds worth of petrol into it (all the cash I had on me at the time!) and the gauge was then showing one bar below full. I have since done just shy of 100 miles (losing one bar in the process)> I called at the petrol station and put another twenty pounds worth in - this time the tank was filled. It would appear that not only is the gauge out, but out significantly - is this a known fault?

Second question, the exhaust makes an annoying rasping sound when under acceleration - a bit like a wannabe boy racer thing. This is emanating fro the back box. The car has just passed its test, so the exhaust is not blowing. It is not one of this big bore affairs, but just a normal exhaust. I'm guessing it may be an cheapo aftermarket back box? Or could this also be a known fault with stock exhausts?

As regards the fuel gauge, in common with a number of Toyota models, the gauge operates in a non linear way so the fuller the tank is, some bars on the gauge seem to extinguish more slowly than others. You will soon get used to it.

The Aygo has a three cylinder engine, which does sound more raspy or throaty than some other cars.

Hi Paul and welcome to the board. :smile:

So, you've bought yourself a 2012 Fire, good decision, if I may say so as I have the same thing. :wink:

OK then, firstly....The Fuel gauge.  It's a bit of a "Suck it and see" rather than an exact experience, I'm afraid.  The tank is a 35 litre affair on the Aygo and the fuel gauge is in a series of blocks, if you fill the tank to the brim, you will probable lose the first bar after about 120-140 miles, the second bar after another 80-100 miles, the next after another 70-80 miles and so on...Less and less for each block.

To be honest, I don't set much store by the gauge, I just zero the trip meter on each fill up and fill up again after 250-300 miles.  You will get well over 400 miles to a tankful, so this won't cause a problem.

As far as the exhaust is concerned, the Aygo is a 3 cylinder, so it's a buzzy, raspy little motor and maybe not what you are used to, although after a while you don't notice it so much and, to be honest, I have grown to like the sound of it.

All in all, the Aygo is a great little car, OK it has it's foibles and it's not a Mercedes Benz but it's a reliable, cheap to run, and most of all, fun little car.

If you have any questions at all about owning one, just ask away, there's always somebody on here that will be glad to help.

Enjoy your new car, have fun and all the best.:smile:

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking to change my car for some time and had narrowed the search down to the C1/106/Aygo. In the end I decided the Toyota was the better looking of the three. I have been lurking on this forum for a while as part of my research.

The fuel gauge thing threw me! I was expecting not to put £20 into the tank when it was showing half full. In reality, I guess the tank was almost empty?! Then - with two only the top two bars missing - to put another £20 into it! I actually looked underneath to make sure there wasn't a leak!  Yes, I am in the habit of reseting the trip meter each time I refuel. My last car could be temperamental in this respect - but it was the old needle type fuel gauge. In that case, brimming the tank would sort out the problem. 

Having only owned the Aygo for a week, I must report I am impressed. Lovely light steering and effortless manouverability in tight spaces.  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links