Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid batteries dead!

fv43576

Forgive me for my English it mind be bad, I have own lots of Toyota in the past is so reliable no major faults. Unfortunately my latest Auris 1.8 CVT Hybrid 2011 it did go not well. I purchase it was 22,000 miles in 2013, now it is 53,000 miles the hybrid has stop work under 20mph sometimes it struggle to charge up after de-acceleration keeps go flat, I went to the dealer diagnostic problems he said the cell batteries has failed is weaken to hold the energy. Need new one, the dealer is cost around £1,800, buy a recondition would be around £600-800 but you can do yourself for alot cheaper. So I purchase one from eBayer £450 reconditioned and fit on my own and now it works for three weeks (430miles). But it concerned me how long it will last next because my old batteries only last 6 years. How to improve the longlife of batteries? I do not really want to spend another 500 quid again in the next 5 years.

I can't understand one owner in California Toytoa Puris with 230,000 miles used for taxi still used the original batteries it must the warm weather? here where I live is cold & damp is this effect the batteries life?

Plus how many MPG you average on Auris with hybrid? my said officially is 74mpg but I only managed get 52MPG on 25 miles M25 at 60mph and few traffic is not what I am expect. I could swap for 1.4 diesel can do lot better.

Advice is appreciate thanks

The main culprit for Hybrid Battery failure is overheating of the Battery caused by a blocked/clogged cooling fan this is usually preceded by a noticeable drop in fuel economy, do you use Toyota to service the car? As a Toyota service includes a Hybrid health check which covers the Battery with a warranty for 12 months 

My car had service every year since 2013 in June 2016 it was the last had checked on hybrid batteries it was fine. I did know anything about the Battery warranty. The dealer should have me told on my first service. My next service is due around January - February. How much is the warranty cover batteries for a year?

Regards

the warranty is complimentary as long as you have the car serviced at toyota your Battery is given a 12 months warranty.

each year until your car is 10 years old

31 minutes ago, eygo said:

the warranty is complimentary as long as you have the car serviced at toyota your battery is given a 12 months warranty.

each year until your car is 10 years old

Although if a hybrid health check is done immediately prior to the vehicle's 10th birthday, the 12 month hybrid Battery warranty will provide cover for up to 11 years.

One can also pay for a hybrid health check/battery warranty extension at a cost of around £39 - which may be worth considering if servicing is done outside the Toyota dealer network.

6 hours ago, fv43576 said:

My car had service every year since 2013 in June 2016 it was the last had checked on hybrid batteries it was fine. I did know anything about the battery warranty. The dealer should have me told on my first service. My next service is due around January - February. How much is the warranty cover batteries for a year?

Regards

If your car was serviced by Toyota in June 16 then it should have been serviced after amother 10000 miles or in June 2017 if this wasn't completed then there is no cover applicable 

I think older hybrid uses different Battery technology (i.e. NiMH), now uses Lithium.

15 hours ago, Perfection said:

I think older hybrid uses different battery technology (i.e. NiMH), now uses Lithium.

To the best of my knowledge, UK Toyota Hybrids all use NiMH except the previous and current Plug-in models and the Prius +.

• Like 1