Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone owned a 1.3(3) Mk1 and Mk2 Yaris?

Cyker

I'm just wondering how they compare, which you feel is nicer to drive, more practical, more reliable, notable differences etc.

It turns out some versions, like the TR, did come with the digital dash I love so much and I feel I could overlook the loss of the sunroof (If I really miss it I could always get someone to saw a hole in the roof! :laugh:) so I've started considering the Mk2 as a possible move too.

I don't like that it is bigger, but it's only a bit bigger (not like the Mk3 which is so big it's practically in the next size grade!) so I can cope with that.

The 1.33 Mk2s also have the advantage that they are cheaper to tax than the Mk1 1.3 and supposedly have slightly better torque (Although I remember someone saying that the 1.33 actually pulls worse than the 1.3??)

The 1.33 was introduced part way through the life of the second generation Yaris - think in 2008. So some second generation Yaris will have the same 1.3 engine as the first generation.

The 1.33 will have the six speed gearbox and stop/start - stop/start will contribute towards the lower VED.

Toyota deleted stop/start from the third generation citing cost as the reason.

• Like 1

My wife had a 2007 1.3...and then "upgraded" to a 2013 1.33 a couple of years ago.

She thinks there is little difference between the two in driveability...likes the 6th gear though...but prefers the central/digital dash layout of the earlier one.

The 1.33 certainly feels more "modern" inside with the satnav/bluetooth/reversing camera etc..it has NO stop/start.

• Like 1

A 2013 Yaris would be a third generation model (2011 onwards) - hence no stop/start system.

Thanks guys.

If I go for the Mk2 1.33, it'll be something like a TR which is, as far as I can tell, the highest spec model that still has the digital dash in the middle.

It's been ages since I've been in one and I don't think I've ever gone for a hoon in one to see what the handling and pull is like.

Madasafish! I know you have had both! Please render unto me your wise and expert knowledge of... certain types of Toyota vehicles! And also certain types of small flying insects!

I owned a 2010 TR and that didn't have the "digital" speedometer, if that's what you are referring to? It had a "conventional" speedometer and tachometer display - i.e. numbered scals with needles. It was still in the centre of the dash though.

• Like 1

Yeah, from my research it seems the digital dash was only available up to about 2009 in the TR; TR's 2010 and onward were Ford Model-T analogue dials only :tongue:

Don't know why they got rid of it; It's so much gentler on the eyes and looks far cooler and more futuristic to me!

I had a go in one today; I think I'm going to eat up a clutch getting used to petrols again... it's sooooo easy to stall compared to the diesel and you get almost no warning! In my D4D, the engine will shake the whole car when you're nearing a stall but in this the engine is so buttery smooth it just sort of coughs and then stops :laugh:

I will say it is a metric ubikload quieter - Clearly they actually put some soundproofing in compared to the Mk1s!

Feels very dark inside the car due to the loss of the sunroof... not sure if it it is supposed to have Start-Stop or not but I couldn't get it to work. It does say ECO OFF in the dash but I didn't see a button to control this on the dash when I was playing with it.

Hmmm.... might actually go for this over the Mk1... that £30 is a big plus over the £135!

The car's rated for 54mpg - Do any of you get even anywhere near that?

My D4D is rated at 64mpg and if I'm doing a mix of urban and motorway it pretty much nails that. 600 miles to a tank was very soothing for the range anxiety I had after owning a 1.3 Fiesta which could barely manage 300 if I ran it dry :laugh:

The stop/start system operates within certain parameters. Low temperatures (ie less than 4 degrees C), heavy electrical load on the car (ie heater, fan, air con turned on), and low Battery charge can affect whether the system operates or not.

The system can be turned off manually via a button, but after the engine and ignition are turned off, the system will reset to 'on' when the engine is next started.

• Like 1