Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2012 Avensis T27 2.0D cutting out while driving

Jonodw

Hello,

I am new on here and hope I am posting this in the right place.

I have an intermittent dangerous problem with my Avensis that is driving me insane and also after breaking the bank.

The car is cutting out while driving,maybe 4 or 5 times a day.It happens at low speed,high speed,just after starting in the morning,basically anytime with no fixed pattern.All dash warning lights come on.Each time it will restart immediately.I have also noticed at times it is down on power and if I turn it off for a few minutes and restart power is restored.

On 24th July I took the car to my local Toyota dealer,they hooked it up to their computer and it showed the following codes

P0201 . Injector circuit/ Open (cylinder 1)

P0202  injector circuit/Open (cylinder 2)

P0400  Exhaust Gas Recirculation flow.

P062D  No1 Fuel injector driver Circuit performance.

P1604  Startability Malfunction.

P242C  Exhaust Gas Temperature sensor Circuit Low Bank 1 sensor 3.

They replaced injector 1 and 2 and cleaned the Egr valve and cleared the codes.I asked the mechanic,shouldn't 4 injectors be changed?.He told me he had previously changed ones or twos injectors in different cars and they never came back to him.

A couple of days after I getting the car back,it started cutting out as before I took it to the garage.They checked the codes and it showed up P062D .They then told me I would have to replace the injector driver.I purchased one from a car breaker for €200 as a new one cost over €1000.The inj driver was fitted and sure enough shortly after it was cutting out on the road again.Took car back to dealer,code P062D showing again and without any checks on the car I was told the used driver I got was faulty and I should get a new one.I asked them if they were sure that was the problem and could it be something else.They told me it was definitely the inj driver so I got a new one,they fitted it and once again after a short time it is once again cutting out on the road.They checked the codes and the same fault was showing again.The mechanic then said he would have to check wiring between inj driver and injectors I queried this as in my mind if it was a bad connection it would not restart every time.I told him to replace the 2 injectors that hadn't been replaced as this may be the problem.New injectors were fitted but still cutting out.

The car is in the dealers for the last 2 days,I got a call from the mechanic this evening,he said he checked everything and the only thing he could find is that when the car is ticking over the alternator is only giving the Battery 12v but it is charging fine when there is a load.He is to check connections on alternator and he will let me know tomorrow if he needs to order a new alternator.I told him there is not going to be another penny spent on the car until they can guarantee 100% that they have found the fault.

The bottom line is I have spent almost €3000 on this car and it is cutting out on the road exactly the same as before I took it to the main dealer.

I am sorry this is long winded but I am at my wits end and would appreciate very much if someone could shed some light or may have had the same problem or know what is wrong with the car.

John

Has any work been done on car before these problems started, fuel filter, dpf etc? What is the Battery voltage after car has started, you can check with a voltmeter or toque pro? You can also monitor fuel pressure and fuel trim when driving with torque pro.

Garages do like to change things rather than play detective.

Thanks for your reply.There was not any work carried out prior to the car cutting out.Mechanic has checked fuel pressure,DPF ect but his last check today is the alternator.

10 hours ago, Jonodw said:

Thanks for your reply.There was not any work carried out prior to the car cutting out.Mechanic has checked fuel pressure,DPF ect but his last check today is the alternator.

I wish you luck, better to... I mean cheaper to get a refurbished one. I am sincere.